Thread: quick hypothetical

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    Not really

I figured out a 1x5 max

The following Monday I did 5x5 for roughly 80%
    Friday I did the 1x5 max which was I think was12.5 lbs more than where I was stuck (I don't have my notebook with me right now)

The following Wed I was unstuck from my 3x5 work set on NLP by 5 lbs. Both Friday and the following Wed are "heavy" relative to my ability.
    I am just confused by your programming choices here. I was under the impression you're still doing SS. You said that progress was slowing. I don't know why you 'figured out' a 1x5 max? You did 225 for 1x5 and then 195 later that week for 5x5. You did 205 the next week. Why? And then what? 230 and 200 the following? You said you're doing a VD/ID. So I am just saying if that is what helping you get your bench 'moving' then just go ahead and switch to intermediate programming.

Probably not a good idea to compare absolute strength to relative. A 305lb guy that benches 275lb is still stronger than a 150lb guy than benches 200lb.

A better question is how strong do you want to be, and what's the optimal path is, body weight and composition-wise, to get there.

My goals are improved health markers. Type 2 means weight gain and excessive carbs are out. Weight added to the bar is just an indication that I am progressing and not treading water

Ive been holding tight around 255 bw. If my labs look good in April I will stay at this weight if not I probably need to cut another 10 percent bw

Ive been holding tight around 255 bw. If my labs look good in April I will stay at this weight if not I probably need to cut another 10 percent bw
    Barbell Training is Big Medicine | Jonathon Sullivan

What's your waist size at the navel, by the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    I am just confused by your programming choices here. I was under the impression you're still doing SS. You said that progress was slowing. I don't know why you 'figured out' a 1x5 max? You did 225 for 1x5 and then 195 later that week for 5x5. You did 205 the next week. Why? And then what? 230 and 200 the following? You said you're doing a VD/ID. So I am just saying if that is what helping you get your bench 'moving' then just go ahead and switch to intermediate programming.
    Sorry, I worded that poorly

I don't have my notebook in front of me.. whatever weight I stalled at I sandwiched in between the Press the following week like SSLP and I went to gym on Sat to figure out a 1x5RM

The following week, I did 80% of the 1x5RM for 5x5 on mon, wed pressed like Normal, friday did the 1x5RM +2.5lbs without failing.

Following "press week" I did the 3x5 weight I was stalled at +2.5 lbs I think I will be able to take 1-2 jumps like this a month NLP I was stuck for several weeks, but bench only.

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    What's your waist size at the navel, by the way?

Not sure, I will measure when I get home. I wear a loose 38 pants. 36 too tight 38 too loose

Not sure, I will measure when I get home. I wear a loose 38 pants. 36 too tight 38 too loose
    Yeah, pant size and waist circumference can vary quite a bit, depending on how your body stores fat, and how high your pants sit.

The reason why it would be helpful to know is that waist size is a decent proxy for your body composition. If you read some of the material here from the more knowledgeable nutrition guys, typically if your waist is over 40 inches at the navel, it's suboptimal from a health standpoint. So, if yours is, it might be a good idea to reduce it while training appropriately.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    I am familiar with that article. It is what got me off the treadmill and back into lifting.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast