starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: quick hypothetical

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Yeah, pant size and waist circumference can vary quite a bit, depending on how your body stores fat, and how high your pants sit.

The reason why it would be helpful to know is that waist size is a decent proxy for your body composition. If you read some of the material here from the more knowledgeable nutrition guys, typically if your waist is over 40 inches at the navel, it's suboptimal from a health standpoint. So, if yours is, it might be a good idea to reduce it while training appropriately.
    I am trying to remember from when I ordered my belt. I think I am sitting right at 40 inches IIRC. I ordered a 38 inch belt, missing the whole memo about how you measure for it, got it buckled on the first hole, and had to hold a vacuum pose while my son yanked on the end of it to get it unbuckled.

FWIW the Dr is happy with my labs. I got from "holy shit full blown diabetic" to "prediabetic" with SS and 2 metformin tabs. I am trying to get to normal levels, even if I do need to take the meds. Diabetes is nasty shit.

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    FWIW the Dr is happy with my labs. I got from "holy shit full blown diabetic" to "prediabetic" with SS and 2 metformin tabs. I am trying to get to normal levels, even if I do need to take the meds. Diabetes is nasty shit.
    Then you are doing excellent. You are stronger than before, with lower body fat, and with better health markers. Everything is going in the right direction.

Like I mentioned before, if you are still on the fluffy side (waist >= 40"), I'd gradually get that down to a healthier level. I'd also switch to intermediate programming as your current routine does not seem appropriate for you any more.

Most important thing is keep showing up. That's 90% of it.

Op invest in straps

Quote Originally Posted by quikky View Post
    Then you are doing excellent. You are stronger than before, with lower body fat, and with better health markers. Everything is going in the right direction.

Like I mentioned before, if you are still on the fluffy side (waist >= 40"), I'd gradually get that down to a healthier level. I'd also switch to intermediate programming as your current routine does not seem appropriate for you any more.

Most important thing is keep showing up. That's 90% of it.

For the record, waist at the navel is 39" I'd like to get it down another inch or so I suppose. But that doesn't necessarily mean a ton of cutting. Squats and deads should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by billb7581 View Post
    For the record, waist at the navel is 39" I'd like to get it down another inch or so I suppose. But that doesn't necessarily mean a ton of cutting. Squats and deads should do it.
    Yeah, I'd just keep training at maintenance calories and see what that does to your health markers and waist over time. Based on what you described, I'd probably switch to intermediate programming too.

I don't necessarily know why answering this hypothetical question would help you. It's also an uncertain answer too because not every skinny guy who eats his face off will get great results. One thing is for sure though: You've done better starting at 47 than you would have at 60 or 70 and you have made better progress starting at the weight you did than if you started 100 lbs heavier. That's all that matters.

Good work, Bill. Keep it up

Quote Originally Posted by Establishing Strength View Post
    I don't necessarily know why answering this hypothetical question would help you. It's also an uncertain answer too because not every skinny guy who eats his face off will get great results. One thing is for sure though: You've done better starting at 47 than you would have at 60 or 70 and you have made better progress starting at the weight you did than if you started 100 lbs heavier. That's all that matters.

Good work, Bill. Keep it up

I only ask because my lifts kind of suck relative to my BW and quite low for someone who is eeking out the last tiny bit of LP and how doing this thing while cutting, and having a 15 year old lifting partner to try and keep pace with would explain exhausting my easy gains earlier than someone who was underweight.

I'm not really that hung up on it. I am really only in competition with myself to try and get some more weight on the bar each time.

starting strength coach development program
    I don’t think your numbers are horrid. There is a pretty big variance depending on age, genetics, past training history, form, specific diet, stress, sleep, etc etc etc.

Ask the 3 questions, check your form in the form subforums, and keep on keeping on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123