starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Barbell Rows?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    I don't think anyone said specifically that they weren't power-cleaning ... just talking about the different row variations was the topic... 6 months ago I might add.

Anyways, yeah, very few people do the power cleans; its common to swap out for rows around here.
    You'll notice that there are very very very few form checks in the Technique Sub-forum for power cleans.
    I don't think that's because everyone is doing them just fine and totally confident their technique is 100% A-O-K.
    Don't disagree. Just asking. My understanding is that the Power Clean compliments the Deadlift in pulling mechanics and that that is the reason for its selection. Nothing wrong with barbell rows.

And yeah, I missed the original post date.

I kick started this one team. Just got on here and didn't check the date.

Check out Cailer Woolam here doing a 900lb deadlift. He credits his take on the row that helped him get there.

YouTube

We all know Rip hates rows, mainly because it's easy to cheat on the form. I've personally found rows to be beneficial as long as you do strict form and you're bent over no higher than 65-70 degrees. Keep your back and hips locked in place at a fixed angle at all times as much as possible; no jerking the bar. I find it increases fine for linear progression as well. My experience has mainly been with pronated close-grip barbell rows too.

Preferrably you'd do chin-ups, and even more preferrable would be to do power cleans and chin-ups as the program prescribes, but rows are a fine alternative. Just remember if you do that, technically it's not the "Starting Strength Linear Progression", and YNDTP. So don't call what you're doing Starting Strength

Quote Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
    We all know Rip hates rows, mainly because it's easy to cheat on the form. I've personally found rows to be beneficial as long as you do strict form and you're bent over no higher than 65-70 degrees. Keep your back and hips locked in place at a fixed angle at all times as much as possible; no jerking the bar. I find it increases fine for linear progression as well. My experience has mainly been with pronated close-grip barbell rows too. I don't have much to say about pendlay rows since I don't do them.

Preferrably you'd do chin-ups, and even more preferrable would be to do power cleans and chin-ups as the program prescribes, but rows are a fine alternative. Just remember if you do that, technically it's not the "Starting Strength Linear Progression", and YNDTP. So don't call what you're doing Starting Strength
    Wow. So much wrong with so many assertions here.

The Barbell Row

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Wow. So much wrong with so many assertions here.

The Barbell Row
    Well, he did famously say "Fuck rows". That people have somehow taken that out of context is not really surprising...

Quote Originally Posted by perman View Post
    Well, he did famously say "Fuck rows". That people have somehow taken that out of context is not really surprising...
    Probably because with the advent of other programs similar to Starting Strength, there was a massive failure to understand that the Barbell Row is not a replacement for the Power Clean for a Novice lifter.

A general misunderstanding requires a general recommendation. "Fuck Rows" is fairly general.

starting strength coach development program
    Power Cleans and Snatches were not helping drive my deadlift so I transitioned over to Barbell Rows. While the rows were a nice light day variation for deadlifts, I regret not doing chin ups as often. As a bigger guy and a cubicle dweller, I find that the chins greatly improve my shoulder mobility (helps squat rack position & 'elbows forward' on the press) and the additional bicep/upper back strength helps drive my pressing movements. Use bands/straps/negatives as necessary.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12