Thread: Pause squat ?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    2nd set of squats @ 170

HTTPS://streamable.com/gazyk

Set3 170lbs - Streamable

3rd set @ 170 failed last rep

Have a look and tell me what's going on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    Set3 170lbs - Streamable

1: You didn't fail any reps in the video you posted. Was this the wrong video?
    2: Your stance is a bit wide
    3: Your knees are caving in badly
    4: You lack a sense of hip drive
    5: You are descending with absolutely no attempt to remain tight. You are just collapsing.
    6: You did a less than stellar job placing the camera in a useful position

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    1: You didn't fail any reps in the video you posted. Was this the wrong video?
    2: Your stance is a bit wide
    3: Your knees are caving in badly
    4: You lack a sense of hip drive
    5: You are descending with absolutely no attempt to remain tight. You are just collapsing.
    6: You did a less than stellar job placing the camera in a useful position
    1. Only managed 4 -started feeling a bit faint.
    2. Narrow the stance, got it.
    3. Push knees out more, got it.
    4. Really ? It doesn't feel like that. Maybe it's because I'm falling forward with the RM weight ?
    5. That's confusing though I find it 'effin heavy and have far better control lighter.
    6. My wife does her best.

1. Only managed 4 -started feeling a bit faint.
    2. Narrow the stance, got it.
    3. Push knees out more, got it.
    4. Really ? It doesn't feel like that. Maybe it's because I'm falling forward with the RM weight ?
    5. That's confusing though I find it 'effin heavy and have far better control lighter.
    6. My wife does her best.
    1: You only did 4. That's NOT the same thing.
    2: Check
    3: Check
    4: Stop shoving your hips backwards and letting your chest collapse. Hips go straight UP out of the bottom. Keep the weight centered over mid-foot.
    5: Watch Malanichev squat. That's what tight looks like. Do that.
    6: Get a tripod and read the sticky at the top of the coaches' forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    1: You only did 4. That's NOT the same thing.
    2: Check
    3: Check
    4: Stop shoving your hips backwards and letting your chest collapse. Hips go straight UP out of the bottom. Keep the weight centered over mid-foot.
    5: Watch Malanichev squat. That's what tight looks like. Do that.
    6: Get a tripod and read the sticky at the top of the coaches' forum.
    Do you think I should just use a lighter weight ? That was my original post re pause squats. It's like my legs/hips just don't have enough strength, or my backs fighting with my hips or something. I was shaking trying to muscle it up. I can see what it's supposed to look like, but I have no idea how to get it like that without carving off 50lbs from the bar.

Do you think I should just use a lighter weight ? That was my original post re pause squats. It's like my legs/hips just don't have enough strength, or my backs fighting with my hips or something. I was shaking trying to muscle it up. I can see what it's supposed to look like, but I have no idea how to get it like that without carving off 50lbs from the bar.
    No, I think you should narrow your stance, commit to staying tight, and try to feel the sensation of the bar staying over your mid-foot. I think you're the kind of person who is in danger of a recurring cycle of re-set, crappy squat, re-set based on your posting history. That's not meant to be pejorative. Fix what's wrong with the squat. Do the 170 for 3 sets of 5. Learn to control the descent. Learn to grind. Prosper.

Many people also confuse the stretch reflex of the hamstrings and hip adductors that is supposed to occur just below parallel with a bounce out of the knees that occurs by going well below parallel and allowing the knees to shoot forward. In all of these reps you are allowing the weight to dictate the entirety of the movement.

The reason this seems so heavy to you is because your mechanics are not efficient. If this was filmed from the side, I would bet that the bar is going all over the place. If your back is loose, the bar can move away from it's balance point over your mid foot. If you allow your knees to shoot forward at the bottom, it can change the balance point. If your back angle changes drastically, it can change the balance point. All of this is likely happening which is making the squat twice as hard as it needs to be. You need to learn to control the descent to avoid getting in a mechanically inefficient position.

Let me paraphrase so far. I realised something wasn't right with my squat, but can't figure out how to fix it and the coach agrees there is something wrong with my squat and tells me I should fix it.

Which begs the question 'if I knew how to fix it, why did I bother asking how to fix it ?'. Sometimes it just isn't obvious, which it isn't in my case. I have no idea how to hold my back 'tighter' or how to control the weight more-indeed I had thought I was doing those things.

To be told that 'I'm the sort of person...' Is very unhelpful. I've been trying to follow the program since September and only ever reset the OHP. I've pretty much added-except for illness setbacks-5lb to the bar every workout. I've watched every SS/BBS video looking for the right technique and have consistently tweaked it where I thought I was making mistakes. Indeed the previous video posting of a light day squat had no negative comments at all. Now it seems that's all gone to shit and I should just 'man up' and fucking do it right. Who knew learning could be such fun ?

starting strength coach development program
    2nd set of squats @ 170

HTTPS://streamable.com/gazyk
    Set3 170lbs - Streamable

First of all, very good effort. Considering the form problems, those were pretty smooth.

Which begs the question 'if I knew how to fix it, why did I bother asking how to fix it ?'. Sometimes it just isn't obvious, which it isn't in my case. I have no idea how to hold my back 'tighter' or how to control the weight more-indeed I had thought I was doing those things.
    I mostly agree with Adam, except I don't think a lack of knowing how to grind is your problem.

1. Narrow your stance and point your toes out just a bit.
    2. Take what Hanley refers to as an "epic valsalva". When I'm coaching people, I tell them to let me hear them breathe on each and every rep.
    3. Stay a bit more upright with your torso. It looks like (can't be sure with this camera angle) the bar is drifting forward at the bottom. That'll definitely lead to a GM squat.
    3.1. To help achieve that, look up a bit more than you currently are. Not enough to be looking in the mirror, but enough to not be looking at your feet.

Try those three things, see how they work for you, and we can go from there. If it works, we can further refine the technique. If not, we'll find some other cues.

As to the camera work, it's generally more helpful to have a side-on or 45 degree offset view, without moving around during it. A tripod works best, but if not, just make sure whoever films holds it steady.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast