starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Pause squat ?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thanks for that. Definitely helpful.

I'm I right in thinking that if I just keep more upright at the bottom -presumably a narrower stance will reduce the depth of squat which will help- then my hips won't shoot back and I won't get slack at the bottom of the squat when starting the ascent ?

The rest of you critique seems tied up with the same fault-the looking down at feet being the result of a neutral head and a back/bar which is going forward as the hips go backwards. I'm just not using an effective lever-kind of like the DL if you round your back trying to pull it instead of using the hip hinge.

Can you explain 'controlling the decent' and is this where most of the things are going wrong ? Like landing an aircraft if the approach speed is wrong it's too late to do much by the time you hit the runway.

Experimenting with an air squat and a narrower stance. I notice I can't keep my trunk upright at all. To maintain balance I have to have my back almost horizontal. The wider stance I take seems to reduce that angle and give more stability. Unless I'm going ATG it's a real effort to stay above that point and my quads burn-exactly what I found when pause squatting as I was holding position above my usual ATG.

I feel like my legs are lacking the strength to hold me just below parallel-even in an air squat- it appears I use the ATG version to obtain a bit of a rest, then just try and muscle the bar up from out of the hole and that's where it's going wrong. Clearly I'm rushing to get to he ATG rest position as quickly as possible in order to reserve enough strength to bounce out (probably on my knees rather than the proper stretch reflex which is why I'm experiencing the odd twinge of pain if I don't get the bar moving up immediately).

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    if I just keep more upright at the bottom... then my hips won't shoot back and I won't get slack at the bottom of the squat when starting the ascent ?
    It's not going to necessarily fix it by itself, but it will help. You may have to think "chest up" or "hips forward".

Can you explain 'controlling the decent' and is this where most of the things are going wrong ?
    For now, the best thing you can do there is to just slow down. That, and the bigger valsalva.

Can you explain 'controlling the decent' and is this where most of the things are going wrong ? Like landing an aircraft if the approach speed is wrong it's too late to do much by the time you hit the runway.
    Did you watch the Malanichev video I posted? We want you to get to the correct position at the bottom AND generate a powerful stretch reflex. You can't do this if your descent is an act of free-fall. Don't free-fall. Actively control the barbell and your body on the way down so that your prime movers are in a state of tension at the bottom and you hit the position correctly. It doesn't have to be really slow, but think about it being a little slower than it is right now.

Experimenting with an air squat and a narrower stance. I notice I can't keep my trunk upright at all.
    I wouldn't worry about anything based just on that. Plenty of people, myself included, do fine with a barbell but struggle with balance doing an air squat a certain way.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Did you watch the Malanichev video I posted? We want you to get to the correct position at the bottom AND generate a powerful stretch reflex. You can't do this if your descent is an act of free-fall. Don't free-fall. Actively control the barbell and your body on the way down so that your prime movers are in a state of tension at the bottom and you hit the position correctly. It doesn't have to be really slow, but think about it being a little slower than it is right now.
    I did and I regard that as a pause squat (rightly or wrongly), there is clearly no bounce out of the hole. So, yes, I can do it like that, but not with my current bad form 'drop and bounce' and hence not with 165lbs. I will have to work up to that by recomposing my technique at a lower weight-I've just figured out a really bad way to squat more weight than I can handle, a bit like Kipping a chin up. It's probably going to get me hurt and likely why my hips and back are getting worn out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    I wouldn't worry about anything based just on that. Plenty of people, myself included, do fine with a barbell but struggle with balance doing an air squat a certain way.
    That's good I was beginning to wonder.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    It's not going to necessarily fix it by itself, but it will help. You may have to think "chest up" or "hips forward".

For now, the best thing you can do there is to just slow down. That, and the bigger valsalva.
    You are both saying the same thing. It was exactly why I posted 'paused squats'. I'm going to have to walk before I run which is fine. I want to progress and, once I get the technique mastered at a lower weight I should make progress faster. It was just discouraging to hear 'you are the sort of person who does multiple resets' and hence should just bully through with the weight I'm currently lifting and get it right. Clearly there is a need to reduce and rebuild it. It isn't going to cost much time to do that and it will then mean better, safer progress. I've been a bit obsessed by adding weight at every session and considering it a fail if I wimped out.

Yesterday I cut 15lbs from the lift, narrowed my stance and slowed the decent. Tried to concentrate on tightness, chest up, looking a bit further out and keeping the bar over mid foot. I didn't go as deep in the squat, I positioned the safeties like a pin squat so I would know if I was just dropping/going beyond depth. It felt a lot harder in many ways, but I am now controlling the bar, not the other way about. Still not perfect, but better.

starting strength coach development program
    Thats the way to go!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234