starting strength gym

Thread: Build your own Platform Insert?

Default Build your own Platform Insert?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I would love to build my own platform following the standard approach as explained here (How to Build a Weightlifting Platform | The Art of Manliness).

But putting my rack (Body Solid GPR378 --no lat attachments, etc, GPR378 - Body-Solid Pro Power Rack - Body-Solid Fitness) on a platform would raise it too close to the ceiling. (As it is now, the first sign I'm overdue for a haircut is my hair grazing the ceiling on chins).

So I was considering building my own platform "insert." Something that would look like this: Weight Rack Platform and Insert | Power Lift or this: Weight Room Flooring Insert | Power Lift

I was thinking I could simply measure the width inside the rack and get Home Depot to cut (1) a piece of particle/OSB board and (2) a piece of smooth maple or oak plywood to that width. I would want those pieces to be long enough that my bench would be completely on the platform for benching and so I could (occasionally) squat outside / in front of the rack.

I would also place additional pieces of particle OSB board outside each side the rack that I could glue or place stall mats on top of, which would allow for deadlifting inside the rack (i.e., this would ensure that the barbell is at the same level as the platform).

My gym is in a room with medium thickness carpet. I currently have my rack sitting on top of this 8x8 four-piece mat: SuperSport 8' x 8' 4-Piece Rubber Flooring Mat

Does anyone have any experience or tips on doing this? Looking for any pitfalls to avoid, etc. For example, would I want to glue the particle board and smooth plywood, or would screws be necessary (i.e., would a smaller, simpler construction weigh in favor of one or the other?)? Also, would two pieces (particle + smooth oak) be sufficient (as opposed the three pieces contemplated for a full size platform)?

Thanks

Crickets . . . Well, has anybody else thought about doing this but decided against it? Does this sound worthwhile?

Go for it. It should work... unless the added thickness of the platform makes your presses hit the ceiling. As far as laminating the platform layers, go with glue as the primary bonding agent and just enough screws to hold the pieces together while the glue dries. Pull or cut out the carpet if you can.

I currently have a platform with a rack that has similar dimensions to yours. I have recently bought a used commercial half rack... more on this later in the response.
    I think it makes perfect sense to cut your pieces to fit around your rack "feet" if you'd like to keep your rack "lower". The general plan is to buy 5 sheets of 3/4 inch plywood. Run two front to back, rotate the next set (side to side) and for the last one (of the 5 sheets), run it front to back in the dead center. The sides will be 3/4 inch horse stall mats which come in 4'x6'- where you may drop weights on deads or loading plates onto the floor. BTW - I LOVE having smooth plywood in the center for your lifting shoes to slide but not slip. Awesome! (Horse stall mat in the middle felt treacherous to me and I abandoned that idea quickly - feet were sticking on heavy squat set - bad juju.)

That being the "general" plan, you have to get creative and cut around your rack. I'd leave the lowest layer intact and give up 3/4" in height and set the rack on it (with shims to make it level). Cut the plywood on the next layer to work around your rack in the same pattern described. In your case, I might consider going sideways first then longitudinally so the second layer cuts are easier. After the second layer, put 1" or 1 1/4" utility screws through the second layer into the first layer to hold the mess together. The third layer is basically the "center piece" of plywood (won't need screws because the plywood is "trapped") and horse stall mats on the left and right (you may or may not opt to screw these down). All of the sheets and mats you use will need to be cut except the first two 4x8 sheets of plywood. Rip recommends using a certain grade of plywood so there are no "voids". I'll agree with that and say that the top center piece should be better still. It is what you walk on with your max squat on your back. Make it nice and smooth. I've painted my floor piece flat black with a quart from Home Depot. I absolutely love having the "reference marks" on the floor which are grey sharpie lines. The horizontal line is the dead center of the inside of my rack. The angled lines are all 60 degrees from the center line or 30 degrees from "front to back". I cannot describe how nice this is for me and for coaching others. My students all love the markings as well to "find 30 degrees for their feet on the squat". I've even had others viewing video of squats say that they use the reference lines much more than they would have expected just assessing a set of squats.

Rack Floor.jpg

Your deads may be outside (front) of your cage. You can see in the photo that I have a separate piece of plywood (not painted) which is where your feet would go for the dead. Again, I love the surface and if I had to do it again, it would be one piece front to back - all painted. The flat black paint seems a little "stickier" than the non-painted but both are very acceptable.

On to my new mission - I bought a commercial half rack which I expect to take up a lot less room with the same level of functionality. I'll be building an 8x8 platform but have much more "space" in front of the rack. Anyone want to buy my body solid SPR1000? Not a super big deal if nobody wants it I guess. Running two racks at once has it benefits.

I will not be using glue. Using both screws and glue will definitely make a solid platform but I think screws are sufficient and if you have to move/remove your platform, you're left with sawing it apart if you glue it.