starting strength gym

Thread: Floor Press vs Rack Bench vs Weighted Dips

Default Floor Press vs Rack Bench vs Weighted Dips

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Which one's your favorite? How did you program them into your routine? I've never been very fond of Benching so I was thinking of using one of these for Heavy day in HLM.

It seems silly to me to dislike the bench but using a close variation instead. I would therefore go for dips. Be aware that they are'nt as reliable as barbell lifts though, because you have to account for fluctuations in BW etc. I think Andy has a video on the matter where he advises against using them as a main exercise and suggests keeping it as an accessory.

Quote Originally Posted by El Rojo View Post
    It seems silly to me to dislike the bench but using a close variation instead. I would therefore go for dips. Be aware that they are'nt as reliable as barbell lifts though, because you have to account for fluctuations in BW etc. I think Andy has a video on the matter where he advises against using them as a main exercise and suggests keeping it as an accessory.
    Yes I've been using bodyweight dips as accessories for a while now. I love them. Although you're right, I wouldn't be able to progress consistently. Tried Floor Presses today, didn't go so well.

Each of those accessories has its place. Recently, I had a back injury that didn't let me put my back into extension without pain - no bench for a while.
    I used floor presses so I could keep my back flat on the floor and my feet up. Although not my first pressing choice, I had no choice - floor press or nothing.
    Same with dips - I could do them without back pain (at least not much). So I did them in place of the press until my back got better.

I liked dips so much that I've added them to my weekly training regimen as a press accessory. I've been progressing them by doing the following:

Session 1
    (BW) - 3 sets of 8

Session 2
    (BW) - 3 sets of 9

Session 3
    (BW) - 3 sets of 10

Repeat the above, but add 5lb to body weight.

Quote Originally Posted by irongeek View Post
    Each of those accessories has its place. Recently, I had a back injury that didn't let me put my back into extension without pain - no bench for a while.
    I used floor presses so I could keep my back flat on the floor and my feet up. Although not my first pressing choice, I had no choice - floor press or nothing.
    Same with dips - I could do them without back pain (at least not much). So I did them in place of the press until my back got better.

I liked dips so much that I've added them to my weekly training regimen as a press accessory. I've been progressing them by doing the following:

Session 1
    (BW) - 3 sets of 8

Session 2
    (BW) - 3 sets of 9

Session 3
    (BW) - 3 sets of 10

Repeat the above, but add 5lb to body weight.
    Looks like a great way to progress on dips. Thanks