starting strength gym

Thread: Rogue SML-1 or R-3

Default Rogue SML-1 or R-3

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Folks,

I'm looking to upgrade from my current, very unstable squat stand to something more stable, ideally bolted onto a platform. I'm looking at either the R-3 or the SML-1 w/ Safety Spotters. Because of the way my garage is organized/lain out and the placement of the garage door opener, these two options would work the best within the space. Here's my question:

I don't need a pull-up bar on the stand/rack. I have rings mounted to the ceiling and a rogue P-4 pullup bar on one of the walls.

I don't need significant height. I'm 5'11" so as long as I can safely rack from my squat, I should be fine.

I have plate storage, so don't need any of the options that can be added to a rack for that.

With these thoughts in mind, what are the advantages of one over the other? I'm particularly thinking longer-term as I progress beyond NLP and need to incorporate more accessory lifts. Beyond just the coolness of getting the R-3, what reasons support getting it over getting the SML-1 w/ spotter arms?

Thanks,
    Ben Shugart

Hey Ben:

I bought the Rogue SML-2 a bit over a year ago and I'm very happy with it. I did the same analysis between their power racks and squat stands.

Here's my analysis:

SML-2 pros:
    1. Doesn't need to be bolted to the floor.
    2. Doesn't have cross-bars, so I could fit the vertical supports between the rafters in my basement. (This might not apply to you)
    SML-2 cons:
    1. Can't adjust safeties very low for rack pulls. I use some pads instead to raise the bar. It probably saves my B&R bar by doing this anyway.

R-3 pros:
    1. I think you can adjust the pins lower for rack pulls.
    2. Might be a bit safer if you squat in a rack vs spotter arms on a squat stand. The few times I've had to use the safeties, however, I just put the bar down on the spotter arms. Luckily nothing has happened that would necessitate an "emergency landing".

The #1 reason I got it vs the R-3 was that my basement couldn't handle the height of the R-3. But the squat stand's uprights just fit between my floor joists. I can use it for pullups as well.

I have never regretted my SML-2 purchase. I was amazed at the quality of the cuts and the sheer mass of it. This thing can handle anything ANYONE can throw at it.
    It is rock solid.

I have an R-3, and am very happy with it.

IronGeek pretty much nailed most of the Pros of the R-3 (yes, you can adjust the pins very low for any depth of rack pull). I'd only add, that at your height, you can also pin press in the R-3. Additionally (not sure why you'd do it, unless your tight on space) you can deadlift in the rack as well, as the bottom of the frame is low enough (with a rubber mat on the floor) that the bar will clear the rack with standard plates loaded.