starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gloves for training

Default Gloves for training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Yes, I know you shouldn't use gloves. I've been doing the program for a few months and recently got my wife to start lifting. Because of her job she has to protect her hands. What are the best options? I know I could get some gloves from Dicks, but I wondered if anyone has a better idea. I've seen things like 3 hole hand grips, but I wasn't sure how well those work for weightlifting. I want to get her something for her hands before she starts getting calluses and quits. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Loeb View Post
    Yes, I know you shouldn't use gloves. I've been doing the program for a few months and recently got my wife to start lifting. Because of her job she has to protect her hands. What are the best options? I know I could get some gloves from Dicks, but I wondered if anyone has a better idea. I've seen things like 3 hole hand grips, but I wasn't sure how well those work for weightlifting. I want to get her something for her hands before she starts getting calluses and quits. Thanks!
    I don't wear gloves for weightlifting but I've had really good experience with the other types in Bionic's line. They have a few different styles of women's fitness gloves and a couple of them are full-fingered:

Shopping

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    I don't wear gloves for weightlifting but I've had really good experience with the other types in Bionic's line. They have a few different styles of women's fitness gloves and a couple of them are full-fingered:

Shopping
    Those look pretty good. I just want to find something that protects her hands but isn't too thick to interfere with anything.

YouTube
    A relevant video

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Loeb View Post
    Those look pretty good. I just want to find something that protects her hands but isn't too thick to interfere with anything.
    Sorry, but gloves are going to impair anyone's ability to pull the bar. Especially a heavy deadlift. They add to the thickness of any bar they pick up and hence, at least slightly reduce the grip.

That said, priorities rule. If hers are keeping callus free, gloves are the answer.

My wife is in a similar scenario. I think you are over complicating it.

Go to Dick's or some other sports store. Have her try on all the ones she likes and then buy the one's she likes the most. It really doesn't matter what kind of gloves she wears as long as she likes them and shes comfortable in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Sorry, but gloves are going to impair anyone's ability to pull the bar. Especially a heavy deadlift. They add to the thickness of any bar they pick up and hence, at least slightly reduce the grip.

That said, priorities rule. If hers are keeping callus free, gloves are the answer.
    While what you say is technically true, I think most people don't achieve a deadlift that out strips their alternate grip with gloves capability. If they actually do stick to lifting long enough to do this and soft hands are still a priority... It's not a big deal to start using straps on top sets (for a non-competitor... Which is statistically almost everyone).

She will get calluses with gloves too, and more likely to tear one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post

YEA this.. I tried a set of those Harbinger lifting gloves, the leather in the palm made the bar feel fatter and harder to lift. I couldn't use them.

starting strength coach development program
    We lift outside, it gets coldish in the winter here. My wife used thin leather gloves. No extra padding or stitching through the palm or fingers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast