starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: press going nowhere

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    3s don’t last too long but they do give you a little progress. Got any videos of your press?

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    We're on the same page there. I think there was just some confusion with the context and nuance.
    Ha, good deal man. Sorry bout the confusion

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    3s don’t last too long but they do give you a little progress. Got any videos of your press?
    I'm happy with my technique. The press doesn't really have much scope for form error. Keep tight, shoulder width grip, bend back from the hip and explode upwards in a straight line aiming for where nose was, then get under the bar and lock-out. All of that happens until the weight gets heavy enough that I can't get easily past head height-it goes up fine at the beginning, but then slows down and I'm left laying back with my arms just not moving the bar much at all. The bar speed is really slow and takes an age until I get underneath and lock it out. By the time I've managed that on the forth rep, there is no gas in the tank for one more.

If I go to three, then I can increase another kilo -2lbs, but that's back at the limit. I did 2 sessions with 3s for a very marginal increase. Going back and trying for 5 reps meant I missed the last 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I'm happy with my technique. The press doesn't really have much scope for form error. Keep tight, shoulder width grip, bend back from the hip and explode upwards in a straight line aiming for where nose was, then get under the bar and lock-out. All of that happens until the weight gets heavy enough that I can't get easily past head height-it goes up fine at the beginning, but then slows down and I'm left laying back with my arms just not moving the bar much at all. The bar speed is really slow and takes an age until I get underneath and lock it out. By the time I've managed that on the forth rep, there is no gas in the tank for one more.

If I go to three, then I can increase another kilo -2lbs, but that's back at the limit. I did 2 sessions with 3s for a very marginal increase. Going back and trying for 5 reps meant I missed the last 2.
    There can actually be quite a bit that can go wrong with the press, especially if you’re trying 2.0. If you were a more intermediate/advanced presser, Id be more inclined to believe you if you said your technique was fine. Throw up a video just in case. Doesn’t hurt, ya know?

^ Yes, please post more videos.

The press doesn't really have much scope for form error.
    That's debatable, to say the least; for example, if you get the grip wrong even a bit, your Press will be compromised even before you take the bar off the rack.

As for your general progress, I agree with the people who said to add volume; the better way to increase your Press is to press often. And be patient, 'cause it's a bitchy lift.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by IlPrincipeBrutto View Post
    That's debatable, to say the least; for example, if you get the grip wrong even a bit, your Press will be compromised even before you take the bar off the rack.

As for your general progress, I agree with the people who said to add volume; the better way to increase your Press is to press often. And be patient, 'cause it's a bitchy lift.

IPB
    Must have missed that bit about adding volume ? That's what I was asking about, but the consensus was move to intermediate.

Must have missed that bit about adding volume ? That's what I was asking about, but the consensus was move to intermediate.
    Yes....moving to intermediate would suggest adding in more volume/frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Yes....moving to intermediate would suggest adding in more volume/frequency.
    Right. I'm studying HLM at the moment and to figure out a starter programme.

starting strength coach development program
    Awesome. I think you’ll enjoy it. Andy has put out some great articles on his website and his YouTube channel on it

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast