starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: press going nowhere

Default press going nowhere

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've deloaded twice now and the weight just isn't moving. I know it's probably time to move to intermediate, but, is there any mileage in increased volume. Because the weight is so low ( 37.5Kg @ 3x5) I don't see much of a warm up progression and wondered if a bit more volume at say 90% of work set weight might produce a bit more progress.

Eating and sleeping plenty and have 8+ minutes between sets and a sports drink. I just seem to fail at 4 reps even micro loading with just .5Kg tips it over the edge. I keep thinking I must be able to do better. Not yet wearing a belt for lifts so maybe that would help ?

Just switch to intermediate. Andy put out an article about increasing your press. Has some good tips in there. No point in doing endless resets or trying to go up 1-2 pounds. Yes to wearing a belt

Quote Originally Posted by Royce Nichols View Post
    Just switch to intermediate. Andy put out an article about increasing your press. Has some good tips in there. No point in doing endless resets or trying to go up 1-2 pounds. Yes to wearing a belt
    Everything lift is pretty much near the end anyway. Got a little bit left in squats and bench. So, it's probably time to make the switch.
    Putting on so much weight from eating that the belts pretty tight.

Good deal. Weight gain helps the press. Throw up a video to make sure technique is ok.

I have to disagree with there being no point in trying to increase 1 - 2 lbs per week in the press. That's 50 or 100 lbs per year. In the press I can't see that as a bad thing.

If I misunderstood your meaning, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I have to disagree with there being no point in trying to increase 1 - 2 lbs per week in the press. That's 50 or 100 lbs per year. In the press I can't see that as a bad thing.

I'm not going up 1 or 2 lbs a week anyway. Just 1lb increase results in an immediate rep fail. I backed it down a couple of times and hit the same plateau. Tried switching to 3 reps and then back to 5s but as soon as I did I began failing again.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    I'm not going up 1 or 2 lbs a week anyway. Just 1lb increase results in an immediate rep fail. I backed it down a couple of times and hit the same plateau. Tried switching to 3 reps and then back to 5s but as soon as I did I began failing again.
    I'm not far behind you. I've recently switched to 3's per Rip's advice and I "just" finished my third set the other day. I'll ride it while I can...but it won't be long at the 1.25 lb jumps I've been doing lately.

No worries. I guess context is important here. I like micro loading for the LP. I think in Nocks situation, since he has already reset twice and micro-loaded, there is no longer sufficient stress to drive the adaptation. The issue is that you’re pressing 3 sets of 5 one week and then twice the next. That is not nearly enough volume or frequency and I think reducing the weight added on the bar is not the right move. My god man if you can get 50-100 pounds by just adding a little at a time do it!! And if you did do that then I stand corrected.

In summary, micro-load (I think less than 2 pounds is totally unnecessary) your upper body lifts and have a reset. But when progress stalls, don’t fart around with resetting a million times and trying to add a half a pound when you’ll make better progress as an intermediate. That’s my two cents and been my limited experience

No worries. I guess context is important here. I like micro loading for the LP. I think in Nocks situation, since he has already reset twice and micro-loaded, there is no longer sufficient stress to drive the adaptation.
    We're on the same page there. I think there was just some confusion with the context and nuance.

starting strength coach development program
    I'm not far behind you. I've recently switched to 3's per Rip's advice and I "just" finished my third set the other day. I'll ride it while I can...but it won't be long at the 1.25 lb jumps I've been doing lately.
    Threes definitely didn't help in my case.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast