starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Substitute for Barbell Overhead Press

Default Substitute for Barbell Overhead Press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm about 3 weeks into following the program closely, it is hard as hell, so I'm probably doing it right. But I'm having problems with the overhead press and my elbows. I have done the OH off the squat rack with the barbell, kills them. I switched to dumbells, starting both facing and forward palms end with palms forward at top, even worse. There is a shoulder press machine by Life Fitness that seems to do the least damage, I use the palms facing handles, about 1.5x shoulder width with a somewhat eccentric motion as I press upward. At least I can do them. My problem appears to be tricep tendonitis, the outer tip of the elbow also hurts some. This is a chronic condition that I've had for about 10 years since taking statins, which I discontinued after 1 year. What would be a safe way to address the OH portion of the workout?

Can you incline bench press?

Swiss bar?

Dumbbell or Kettlebell Presses might be elbow friendly.

Quote Originally Posted by RobertM View Post
    I'm about 3 weeks into following the program closely, it is hard as hell, so I'm probably doing it right. But I'm having problems with the overhead press and my elbows. I have done the OH off the squat rack with the barbell, kills them. I switched to dumbells, starting both facing and forward palms end with palms forward at top, even worse. There is a shoulder press machine by Life Fitness that seems to do the least damage, I use the palms facing handles, about 1.5x shoulder width with a somewhat eccentric motion as I press upward. At least I can do them. My problem appears to be tricep tendonitis, the outer tip of the elbow also hurts some. This is a chronic condition that I've had for about 10 years since taking statins, which I discontinued after 1 year. What would be a safe way to address the OH portion of the workout?
    Does it hurt all the time or just when doing the OHP it rears its head? Tendinitis is acute, but tendinosis is chronic and hurts all the time, like for months and years.

Statins SUCK. Unless you have inherited high cholesterol, lose weight and work on nutrition.

I will try the swiss bar. It would allow me to have palms facing each other throughout the motion and also do the motion about shoulder width, wider is not good for me. I'm concerned about the range of motion, since it will have to start at just above head level unless I'm missing something. Every other suggestion has been tried and I walk away with more pain than before at that point. I do recover enough in two days to lift again, but I'm concerned that won't be the case as I progress. I just started and I am nowhere near my potential. I'm doing my 3x6 with 80lb on the shoulder press machine. My squat is also pathetic at 140lb, I have a very weak core and long term back problems, so I'm taking that slow, but I must say even 140lb is not a cakewalk for me. Bench is at 150lb and deadlift is 180lb. I'm really liking the DL, IMO the best overall exercise of the 3, using the trap bar for it. I'm 5'10", 180lb 54 years old with no prior history of weight training.

I'm almost certain statins destroyed my elbows, though it could also be bad arthritis, which I do have in lower back. Total cholesterol has been around 300 for about a decade now and I tell the doc to take a hike every year at my physical when he suggests statins, which he pushes like he's getting a commission on them. EKG is gangbusters and HDL is about 70, since I do generally follow a lowish carb diet. The whole statin thing is one of the greatest shams perpetrated on the American public, just behind the low fat diet crap.

Quote Originally Posted by jbackos View Post
    Statins SUCK. Unless you have inherited high cholesterol, lose weight and work on nutrition.
    Also, if you have a few bucks, get a calcium score. Actual information about your plaques (or their absence) instead of vague correlation. I paid less than I saved on statins over a year - $100 or so.

Do landmine presses with your barbell. Nice neutral grip, easy on the shoulders and wrist. Look on Youtube for guidance on how to do them.

starting strength coach development program
    Landmine press looks promising. I will try when I get my setup at home. I have gone back to doing the shoulder press with the machine and my elbows are significantly improved. Grip is palms facing each other about shoulder width. Anything else kills them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast