starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: barbell purchase question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by mcm42 View Post
    Male. 5'6". Hands aren't freakishly small or anything, but short fingers. Overall size and hand size in the range of "normal", just on the smaller end for a man. I'm sure I would be able to use any standard men's bar, but I also assumed that with short fingers any help I can get gripping the bar on deadlifts would be good. And if a 28 mm bar doesn't get too "bouncy" until you're trying to use it for a 550 pound squat or 400 pound bench (those are the type of numbers I was asking about initially) then I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it.

The 28 mm bar I am looking at is the Vulcan v4.0 Elite (bushing) - has the center knurl. I was also looking at the Rogue B&R 2.0 as suggested, as well as their SS Ohio and Castro bars. Does adding tape to the smooth center give back any significant amount of what you lose without the center knurl?

Thanks to all who've responded so far for your advice and equipment suggestions.
    The Vulcan bar would probably be okay, but I believe that bar has a passive center knurl. I haven't used that specific bar, but I've used others with passive center knurl and they're generally too passive for me--the one I have in my garage (Chan Bar) is essentially useless. I'd prefer a power bar with a full center knurl for low bar squats.

You can't really say an exact weight when bar whip on squats is going to be "too much." It depends on a lot of other factors: how you carry the bar on your back, what type of plates you use (wide bumpers = more whip), etc. Having said that, I think most 28mm bars are going to start whipping well below a 550lb squat. I also prefer pressing movements and curls with a 29mm bar. Not due to bar whip, 28 just feels weird to me--too narrow.

I would NOT add tape in place of a center knurl. It might add grip, but it would probably also get gross and might be a mess to replace depending on what type of tape you use. I wouldn't risk gunking up a nice barbell with tape.

I'd get a B&R (or similar). I think its the best all-around. If you get really into powerlifting or Oly weightlifting in the future maybe consider getting a second 27mm DL or 28mm oly bar for pulls.

I'm looking to purchase a power too and I'm considering the following: Rep Fitness stainless steel reject power bar, OHP stainless steel or Vulcan Elite Powelifting Barbell. I really miss the center knurl when I squat with my current bar a Fringe Sport W2.

Hi. Still interested in anybody's experience will specific numbers/lifts/bars. For example, "once I got up to ### pounds on my squat/bench I found a 28mm bar to be too whippy" or "my squat/bench is at ### pounds and I can use any bar no problem", etc.

However it seems that the recommendation of most is the B&R or maybe Ohio Power Bar (anybody use this one and do power cleans?).

Thanks for the input.

Hi. Still interested in anybody's experience will specific numbers/lifts/bars. For example, "once I got up to ### pounds on my squat/bench I found a 28mm bar to be too whippy" or "my squat/bench is at ### pounds and I can use any bar no problem", etc.
    If you get used to a 28mm bar, you'll be fine with whatever weight you're using. Watch Clarence Kennedy squat sometime. With his speed, that bar's whippy as all get-out, but he's used to it, so he's fine. Personally, I do prefer my OPB, especially for 500+, to my Olympic training bar (28mm) or my Stainless Steel Ohio Bar (28.5mm), but any of them work.

maybe Ohio Power Bar (anybody use this one and do power cleans?).
    Don't. I love the OPB, but if you value the skin on the front of your neck, don't power clean with it.

I sure wouldn't let power cleans (a subpar exercise) determine a barbell purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    I sure wouldn't let power cleans (a subpar exercise) determine a barbell purchase.
    This makes me smile for some reason.

OPB- it's 29mm but my 8yo son can deadlift with it just fine with alternate or hook grip. I've heard some say the knurling is too intense, but maybe that's just if you've got delicate kitten paws. I think it's perfect.

starting strength coach development program
    Male. 5'6". Hands aren't freakishly small or anything, but short fingers. Overall size and hand size in the range of "normal", just on the smaller end for a man. I'm sure I would be able to use any standard men's bar, but I also assumed that with short fingers any help I can get gripping the bar on deadlifts would be good. And if a 28 mm bar doesn't get too "bouncy" until you're trying to use it for a 550 pound squat or 400 pound bench (those are the type of numbers I was asking about initially) then I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it.

The 28 mm bar I am looking at is the Vulcan v4.0 Elite (bushing) - has the center knurl. I was also looking at the Rogue B&R 2.0 as suggested, as well as their SS Ohio and Castro bars. Does adding tape to the smooth center give back any significant amount of what you lose without the center knurl?

Thanks to all who've responded so far for your advice and equipment suggestions.
    On the Vulcan side I'd consider the Absolute Power Bar. Has deep/aggressive knurling that aren't cheese grater sharp. Center knurl is also mild (but more aggressive than B&R) so you won't tear yourself up during cleans.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12