starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: barbell purchase question

Default barbell purchase question

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi.
    I'm looking to buy my first barbell. I don't have a gym membership or any experience with barbell training. I am shopping for what I need to do the Starting Strength novice progression in my garage. My question is at what weight does a "whippier" 28mm bar become a problem for the different lifts in the program? I have small hands and I'm assuming that the narrower bar will be better for me for grip on the deadlift. I'm fairly short and probably on the old side for starting this stuff (late 30s) so I don't know if I'll ever get to the weights where 28 vs 29mm bar diameter even makes a significant difference for squats/bench.

Thanks for your help.

A 28mm bar's whip probably won't bother you. There are some really strong people who it would bother because they are used to a stiffer bar, not because the whippy bar is impossible to control.
    That being said... don't get a bearing bar as your first bar (your bench will thank you), and make sure that when buying a thinner bar you aren't accidentally getting a women's Olympic bar or other light weight specialty bar (you'll end up bending it).

Rip recommends the Rogue B&R bar, I have used one they are really nice

discussion in first 2 min of this video

YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by pd_oldguy View Post
    Rip recommends the Rogue B&R bar, I have used one they are really nice

discussion in first 2 min of this video

YouTube
    +1 for the B&R (Burgener & Rippetoe) Bar. In my experience, it's far and away the best all-purpose bar on the market. It's 29mm but it has a grippy yet not sadistic knurl. It's bare steel, so you'll have to do a little maintenance if you're keeping it in a garage or unfinished basement, but it's definitely worth it.

Are you male or female? How short are you? Generally most people can handle lifting on a 29mm bar. That's all they had at my old gym. Worst case you might need to use straps or a mixed grip down the line on deadlifts.

The main issue I see with buying a 28mm bar is finding one with a center knurl. Personal preference, but a good center knurl is a must have for me. True 28mm IWF men's olympic weightlifting bars have it, but those are generally very expensive and bearing bars (which as A Schenck mentioned you don't want or need for SS). Most 28mm (and even 28.5mm) training or crossfit bars don't seem to offer the option of a center knurl.

The B&R is a great option. I'd also check out the American Barbell Grizzly Power bar if you don't want to deal with bare steel maintenance. And Rep Fitness has a stainless power bar that looks promising (although the bench rings are in the wrong place in their first batch).

+2 for B&R. Probably my favorite bar. Also Have a Rogue Chang which I use for my DL's and presses.

You may not be as old as you think to be starting. I started at 62. See the "Elderly - Keep off my lawn!" section below.

Craigslist can be your friend here. When I started I bought a new 300 lb set from Dicks. I never paid that much for plates again and got successively better and better stuff. (aka Standard / Troy Premiums / Hampton deep dish). I reconditioned the Hamptons and they look and feel great.

You'll eventually need more 45's, if you follow the program closely, you'll need these quickly.

As for used bars, have not run across the equal of the Rogue B&R in craigslist offerings, but found some stuff that would have served just as well. Don't buy any bar that's 32mm or has a hex nut at the end... sure sign of garbage. Spin bar, make sure it is straight, and the bearings or bushings allow free movement. Skip it if it is rusty and/or frozen.

As for a rack, which you'll need, make sure it has safety bars (or arms) for your squats and bench. I eventually went new on this because my CL searches were unlucky. But, your mileage may vary, I know people with fine racks they found on CL.

Welcome aboard.

Here is my setup.
    Workout Area - Google Photos
    Workout Area - Google Photos

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griffith View Post
    Worst case you might need to use straps or a mixed grip down the line on deadlifts....

The main issue I see with buying a 28mm bar is finding one with a center knurl. Personal preference, but a good center knurl is a must have for me....

The B&R is a great option.
    This.

The B&R bar is great - I own one and use it for squats. BUT, even though I'm 6'4" and have large, proprtional hands, I can really feel the extra .5mm for deadlifts. SO I use a texas power bar (buddy capps texas power bar) for pressing, deadlifts and cleans. The knurl on the TPB is a little sharper for deadlifts, which is great and the TPB is 28.5mm, which is thinner. The B&R bar is a great bar and Im lucky to have two great bars. But if I had to have just one, I'd go with the Buddy Capp TPB.

B&R or Ohio Power Bar.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griffith View Post
    Are you male or female? How short are you? Generally most people can handle lifting on a 29mm bar. That's all they had at my old gym. Worst case you might need to use straps or a mixed grip down the line on deadlifts.

The main issue I see with buying a 28mm bar is finding one with a center knurl. Personal preference, but a good center knurl is a must have for me. True 28mm IWF men's olympic weightlifting bars have it, but those are generally very expensive and bearing bars (which as A Schenck mentioned you don't want or need for SS). Most 28mm (and even 28.5mm) training or crossfit bars don't seem to offer the option of a center knurl.

The B&R is a great option. I'd also check out the American Barbell Grizzly Power bar if you don't want to deal with bare steel maintenance. And Rep Fitness has a stainless power bar that looks promising (although the bench rings are in the wrong place in their first batch).
    Male. 5'6". Hands aren't freakishly small or anything, but short fingers. Overall size and hand size in the range of "normal", just on the smaller end for a man. I'm sure I would be able to use any standard men's bar, but I also assumed that with short fingers any help I can get gripping the bar on deadlifts would be good. And if a 28 mm bar doesn't get too "bouncy" until you're trying to use it for a 550 pound squat or 400 pound bench (those are the type of numbers I was asking about initially) then I don't think I'll ever have to worry about it.

The 28 mm bar I am looking at is the Vulcan v4.0 Elite (bushing) - has the center knurl. I was also looking at the Rogue B&R 2.0 as suggested, as well as their SS Ohio and Castro bars. Does adding tape to the smooth center give back any significant amount of what you lose without the center knurl?

Thanks to all who've responded so far for your advice and equipment suggestions.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast