starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help Guide My Training

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Illingworth View Post
    Please, don't think I'm picking on you or anything. I just wasn't sure if I was understanding what you were asking so I was being extra wordy.

So, I'm looking at chins as an accessory exercise that's being used to get a little more pull-like work in during each training week/cycle and, as such, doing them on the clean day is fine. If you want to actively build your chins (more like a primary exercise) than do them more frequently - but there's likely to be a trade-off which will impact your pulls. That's really up to you.

If you want to deadlift twice a week and clean once a week, that's fine, but you might burn out on deads faster than if you do a straight A/B alternating deal. Doing the alternating also gives your clean a little more exposure so it can come along faster and act as a "bigger" lift.
    I'll take your advice. I'll stick with alternating DL/PC and add chins on PC days. Three sets to failure still typical? I think I'll work up to sets of 10-15 then add weight.

Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    I like the BBM suggestion of a density block (6-7mins of submaximal sets to start), with the goal being to accumulate total work over time (both in reps completed and length of density block).
    I'm not against these methods per se, but I'm going to keep it true to the spirit of SS for now.

An aside: where in OR do you live? I, too, am from Oregon.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Colliflower View Post
    I'll take your advice. I'll stick with alternating DL/PC and add chins on PC days. Three sets to failure still typical? I think I'll work up to sets of 10-15 then add weight.
    That's a fine starting point unless you have some very specific chin-related goal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12