starting strength gym

Thread: SS for a 45 yo

Default SS for a 45 yo

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

Started SS last week.

I just posted a question in then nutrition forum but this question is about training and weight.

45 yo male.
    179 weight
    19% fat

the issue is i find it very difficult to go up in the work sets 10 pounds every time.
    If i go up 10 pounds i find it difficult to keep my technique correct, so i believe i will have to go up once a week and not every workout.
    Is this fine for my age? or is there something i am doing wrong?
    Rip mentioned in his clarification that if i am not going up 10 pounds each workout it might be due to the fact i am not in the demographic of 18-35 male.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by vandeley View Post
    Hi,

Started SS last week.

I just posted a question in then nutrition forum but this question is about training and weight.

45 yo male.
    179 weight
    19% fat

the issue is i find it very difficult to go up in the work sets 10 pounds every time.
    If i go up 10 pounds i find it difficult to keep my technique correct, so i believe i will have to go up once a week and not every workout.
    Is this fine for my age? or is there something i am doing wrong?
    Rip mentioned in his clarification that if i am not going up 10 pounds each workout it might be due to the fact i am not in the demographic of 18-35 male.

Thanks,
    Yeah, just go up five pounds at a time. You're not 20 anymore.

Also pick up a copy of The Barbell Prescription.

Also if you don't have access to microplates you should buy a set soon, eventually 5 pound jumps will be too much for Press/Bench Press and you will need microplates so you can add weight in less than 5 lb increments.

Microplates for sale

Yeah, what they said, and Welcome!

Thanks all
    I have 2.5lbs plates in the gym so will use them

Quote Originally Posted by vandeley View Post
    Thanks all
    I have 2.5lbs plates in the gym so will use them
    That's not what he means by microplates. You're going to want even smaller plates to progress your press and bench press. I keep eight 1/2-lb plates in my bag for this (one each side adds a pound), but you can also get 1.25-lb plates to exactly do 2.5 lb at a time.

Have you read Starting Strength? If not then get the book and read it. It is filled with some of the most valuable life changing information I've run across. As a master lifter I can tell you that the only other book you'll need for practical purposes is Barbell Prescription but you may want to get Practical Programming just for a better overall picture of programming anyway.

I'm 46 and was very successful at novice linear progression using Starting Strength. I'm stronger than I've ever been in my life, but I also attribute that to being much more mature and wise about actually doing the program and eating the diet the way it's actually supposed to be done.

I was only successful at going up 10 lbs every session on squat for the first few work outs and then had to push it back to 5 lbs per workout, which lasted months until I finally hit the wall (hard) and had to go into intermediate programming.

I also followed the advice given here and got microplates from the guy selling them and they proved invaluable for keeping my presses going up in a linear fashion every workout without having to change variables like reps.

You can manipulate reps with the 2.5 lb plates if can't get your hands on the microplates for some reason, but for simplicity sake I highly recommend them. Trust me, things will get more complicated for you as you progress out of novice linear progression.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by David McClelland View Post
    Have you read Starting Strength? If not then get the book and read it. \
    +100