starting strength gym
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Condition outside of the gym

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    Are you saying, with a straight face, that casual motorcycle rides on a sunny day, or slow walks to the water fountain between sets, don't count as cardio-pulmonary training? That these are not reasonable ways to develop serious cardio capacity? That wearing a heart rate monitor doesn't magically transform any and every activity into an endurance workout?

Are you suggesting that one might have to even slightly exert themselves to develop improved cardio?

How dare you.

"The effrontery!"

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    Are you saying, with a straight face, that casual motorcycle rides on a sunny day, or slow walks to the water fountain between sets, don't count as cardio-pulmonary training? That these are not reasonable ways to develop serious cardio capacity? That wearing a heart rate monitor doesn't magically transform any and every activity into an endurance workout?

Are you suggesting that one might have to even slightly exert themselves to develop improved cardio?

How dare you.
    Next they'll tell us the little pink dumbbells won't make us strong. Starting Strength cultists!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    All I can recommend is monitoring the heart rate while working and making some observations. But then I gather from your earlier remarks that brisk walking falls low on your list as well.

Hence, if it ain't highly intense, it ain't shit?
    Perhaps I should paraphrase myself.

If you ain't doing the prowler, you ain't a man.

Carry on boys.

Perhaps I should paraphrase myself.

If you ain't doing the prowler, you ain't a man.

Carry on boys.
    Sully always goes for prowler and Rip....well you know.

I kind of like the stationary bike, preferably a fan bike. You can do a sort of HIIT on a bike which is not prowler manlihood but good conditioning. I tried interval sprinting last year, working up to it from slow walking, fast walking, intermittent jogging, sort of running , and finally sprinting. I got injured...but it worked. I can't run anymore.

I just wear fitbit and track HR .

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Burnett View Post
    I just wear fitbit and track HR .
    Yeah, that's the problem. So do I, but a lower tech Polar H7. Yet, despite tangible elevation of heart rate on a wide range of activities, some are deemed ineffective. Despite the elevation.

Because . . .

No real answer thus far but assertions of a lack of manliness and that they seem ineffective. The bottom line is, elevated HR while deliberately performing activities either has conditioning value or it does not. I'll admit, when I read about LISS in Jordan's sticky in the Nutrition forum, I had my doubts a year or so ago. But after doing some additional research it seemed a sound way to proceed.

These days I'll let some of the more recently checking in young bucks here pound their chests and collect their manliness merit badges for their sashes.

Yeah, that's the problem. So do I, but a lower tech Polar H7. Yet, despite tangible elevation of heart rate on a wide range of activities, some are deemed ineffective. Despite the elevation.

Because . . .

No real answer thus far but assertions of a lack of manliness and that they seem ineffective. The bottom line is, elevated HR while deliberately performing activities either has conditioning value or it does not. I'll admit, when I read about LISS in Jordan's sticky in the Nutrition forum, I had my doubts a year or so ago. But after doing some additional research it seemed a sound way to proceed.

These days I'll let some of the more recently checking in young bucks here pound their chests and collect their manliness merit badges for their sashes.
    To me, after looking into it for 5 seconds on a google search, LISS is certainly better than nothing. Internet articles show it as "fashionable" and a "cousin" of HIIT. I have for a pen pal, Martin Giballa, of HIIT fame and One Minute Workout . Even in his HIIT book he discussed slow walking as good, but not classified by his research to be as effective for CRF. Now Taleb....who loves variation to be antifragile, brags about his long slow walks (flaneur)....but the emphasis is on LONG (like hours). That..is LISS.

I don't want to pester Martin about LISS, so we will leave it at that.

If I hadn't screwed up my body getting older, I"d prefer a HIIT program. Although I agree with Sullivan. HIIT completely sucks...so my HIIT program, even if healthy, would be still pretty unmanly.

So LISS it is.....I am "hip" according to Vogue magazine.

To me, after looking into it for 5 seconds on a google search, LISS is certainly better than nothing. Internet articles show it as "fashionable" and a "cousin" of HIIT. I have for a pen pal, Martin Giballa, of HIIT fame and One Minute Workout . Even in his HIIT book he discussed slow walking as good, but not classified by his research to be as effective for CRF. Now Taleb....who loves variation to be antifragile, brags about his long slow walks (flaneur)....but the emphasis is on LONG (like hours). That..is LISS.

If I hadn't screwed up my body getting older, I"d prefer a HIIT program. Although I agree with Sullivan. HIIT completely sucks...so my HIIT program, even if healthy, would be still pretty unmanly.

Mark
    Cough up for a Fitbit to track sleep and HR. Can use as a timer between lifting sets.

I don't know if your model POlar capable of HRV....but that seems like a good way to do "cardio" and evaluate training.

Motiv and Oura sell a cool ring which collects all your sleep data and HR data and does HRV...display on app. Just no real time HR assessment. And if you are just a freak about EMF, OURA lets you have bluetooth turned off at night...

I did a HIIT variant about 5 years before HIIT became hip or was even identified as a thing. It's called a General Exercise Protocol with a 5 minute warmup to 85% of Maximum Heart Rate, then maintain 85% for 5 minutes, and a 5 minute cooldown. Twice a week, and it got me to a 45 VO2 MAX reading which was excellent for my age. But then, VO2 MAX isn't deemed hip any more by some here, so there you go.

These days, as I said, I drop in a GXP every week or so as some insurance. I mean, even the cognoscienti here say twice a week is the shit hot ticket to brisket and bourbon heaven. Between that and the lower intensity variety I enjoy, it should even things out. Depending on adherence to doctrine. Or not.

Mark
    Cough up for a Fitbit to track sleep and HR. Can use as a timer between lifting sets.

I don't know if your model POlar capable of HRV....but that seems like a good way to do "cardio" and evaluate training.

Motiv and Oura sell a cool ring which collects all your sleep data and HR data and does HRV...display on app. Just no real time HR assessment. And if you are just a freak about EMF, OURA lets you have bluetooth turned off at night...
    I'll give it a look. But what is HRV?

starting strength coach development program

Because . . .
    You list a casual motorcycle ride as LISS. Please explain how that could possibly be cardio? I think it is an excellent choice of leisure activity. I've had heart rate monitors on while road racing, racing motocross, racing hare scrambles and leisure rides about town. I can tell you that the difference between the ride heart rates are about as big as chess and running.

I'm 49 and I can't get my heart rate 20 beats above resting on a casual motorcycle ride even in a crossed up wheelie.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast