starting strength gym
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Condition outside of the gym

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanT View Post
    You list a casual motorcycle ride as LISS. Please explain how that could possibly be cardio? I think it is an excellent choice of leisure activity. I've had heart rate monitors on while road racing, racing motocross, racing hare scrambles and leisure rides about town. I can tell you that the difference between the ride heart rates are about as big as chess and running.

I'm 49 and I can't get my heart rate 20 beats above resting on a casual motorcycle ride even in a crossed up wheelie.
    I'm 67 with an RHR in the mid to upper 60's. I use the Karvonen method for computing MHR just because I can do the math in my head easier and the differences at my age aren't all that significant. So the gap between RHR and 60% of MHR for me is 92 (rounded up). Given that a number of "trainers and experts" start LISS at 50%, that gap narrows even further. I go with 60%-70% because it is more commonly cited. As a reference point, my HR will register around 102 for casual walking.

When I ride, I stay off highways and look for windy, twisty, hilly back roads (albeit chip and tar paved - I have a Sportster 48) to bomb around on. I live on the edge of the Shawnee National Forest and there are lots of roads like that. I don't like riding on well traveled roads because I don't trust the all-too-many Chicago drivers down here who attend Southern Illinois University. So while my riding isn't exactly thrill a second motocross, it isn't a smooth steady cruise on an Electra Glide on I-70. Too boring and too many cars and semis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    I'm 67 with an RHR in the mid to upper 60's. I use the Karvonen method for computing MHR just because I can do the math in my head easier and the differences at my age aren't all that significant. So the gap between RHR and 60% of MHR for me is 92 (rounded up). Given that a number of "trainers and experts" start LISS at 50%, that gap narrows even further. I go with 60%-70% because it is more commonly cited. As a reference point, my HR will register around 102 for casual walking.

When I ride, I stay off highways and look for windy, twisty, hilly back roads (albeit chip and tar paved - I have a Sportster 48) to bomb around on. I live on the edge of the Shawnee National Forest and there are lots of roads like that. I don't like riding on well traveled roads because I don't trust the all-too-many Chicago drivers down here who attend Southern Illinois University. So while my riding isn't exactly thrill a second motocross, it isn't a smooth steady cruise on an Electra Glide on I-70. Too boring and too many cars and semis.
    Of course you would ride on back roads....who goes for solo rides on the interstate??? Dude, I hate to tell you but the 65 year old lawyer that I had on my endurance road race team wouldn't call a 1 hour stint on a GSXR1000 at Hallett Road Course in Oklahoma cardio.

Here is where I think we fundamentally disagree: LISS is supposed to be targeted cardio outside of daily activities. I don't think calculating daily activities as LISS is going to do anything for changing body composition...it is simply the stuff required to live and function.

That said, I'm glad you found your sportster. That bike isn't my cup of tea, but anything on 2 wheels is significantly better than 4 wheels. Enjoy your rides and if you want to post them in your log as cardio...cool.

Of course you would ride on back roads....who goes for solo rides on the interstate??? Dude, I hate to tell you but the 65 year old lawyer that I had on my endurance road race team wouldn't call a 1 hour stint on a GSXR1000 at Hallett Road Course in Oklahoma cardio.
    I don't know what other motorcyclists do routinely. I have always been a loner when riding and have no interest in riding with others or reading about what they do. Along those lines, call it what you will. I can't judge your lawyer friend's level of fitness or what he thinks it is or isn't. What I can judge is the average HR I had on my last ride of 98 bpm @ 64% of MHR. I didn't feel like I got a lot of cardio benefit from it, I can only compare the numbers to what exercise "trainers and experts" refer to as being in the range of LISS. Either numbers and metrics matter or they don't.

Here is where I think we fundamentally disagree: LISS is supposed to be targeted cardio outside of daily activities. I don't think calculating daily activities as LISS is going to do anything for changing body composition...it is simply the stuff required to live and function.
    Once again. Try wearing a heart rate monitor and record and evaluate the results you get against the length of time the activity was performed. If undertaking or performing deliberate and continuous activities means nothing when you achieve HR averages in the LISS or more intense range, then you have to ask yourself if the assertions of level of HR tracking with improving or maintaining conditioning have any validity at all.

I get where you are coming from on many, if not most daily activities. They are sporadic, often brief, and frequently interrupted or stopped from boredom and frustration. But tossing them all out all the time overlooks some fundamental realities.

Monitor what you do. Apply some critical thinking against the "more acceptable" exercise and conditioning activities labeled as valuable.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    Once again. Try wearing a heart rate monitor and record and evaluate the results you get against the length of time the activity was performed. If undertaking or performing deliberate and continuous activities means nothing when you achieve HR averages in the LISS or more intense range, then you have to ask yourself if the assertions of level of HR tracking with improving or maintaining conditioning have any validity at all.
    While it is true that cardio activity implies an elevated HR, the converse (elevated HR implies cardio activity) does not necessarily follow and AFAIK has not been established.

I don't think that measuring a heart rate in the LISS range is an unambiguous indicator of effective cardio, if it were then smoking would constitute a training stimulus for some people.

That said, building cardio exercise into the daily routine is an excellent approach for those who don't want to devote more time to exercise. I think my requirements for LISS are mostly met by commuting on my bicycle, so any additional cardio is either practice at a skill (eg. running) or HIIT.
    For the OP, I'd say combining cardio with the daily dog walks is probably going to be the easiest way forward.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

Quote Originally Posted by industrialplaid View Post
    Can’t really add more rest to the workouts since I’m pushing my time limit. I work out in the morning before work and have a hard stop at 90 min. I know it’s not optimal but lifting is not my highest priority.
    You're limited to 90 minutes, but you want to do Texas Method?

Wow this really blew up.

Well, after popping a bunch of blood capillaries in my eyebrows on my last 3x5 squat workout I decided to shift to intermediate earlier than I thought taking it as a sign that I was ready.

After doing my first volume day I woke up the next morning planning to try some conditioning and realized what a freakin studied idea that was. Holy hell the DOMs are real. Legs are feeling strong again on Thurs night so I think I now get the idea of the week-long overload event. Looking forward to trying my first intensity day tomorrow.

I already do tons of “LISS” if that’s what we’re calling walking the dog now. Was really looking more at serious conditioning for sport, but I think I’m getting the idea that this shit is hard enough that I might need to find some time to go use the bike or rowing machine instead.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    You're limited to 90 minutes, but you want to do Texas Method?
    I did 5m rest btw all sets on volume day and only had to add about 10 mins over my usual time. I’ve seen that Rip recommends like 8-10m between sets. Gonna try it with less and if I flame out it’ll be a learning experience.

Honestly volume day was shorter than my last few workouts on LP that had the 5 sets of power cleans.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

I did 5m rest btw all sets on volume day and only had to add about 10 mins over my usual time. I’ve seen that Rip recommends like 8-10m between sets. Gonna try it with less and if I flame out it’ll be a learning experience.

Honestly volume day was shorter than my last few workouts on LP that had the 5 sets of power cleans.
    It's that way now. Give it a few weeks. And don't be afraid to either make adjustments (i.e. longer rest periods) or move to alternate programming. Texas Method is a powerful tool but can run someone into the ground very hard if not done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    It's that way now. Give it a few weeks. And don't be afraid to either make adjustments (i.e. longer rest periods) or move to alternate programming. Texas Method is a powerful tool but can run someone into the ground very hard if not done correctly.
    I’m starting to dig into all the articles about it and will definitely keep your advice in mind.

starting strength coach development program
    Can’t really add more rest to the workouts since I’m pushing my time limit. I work out in the morning before work and have a hard stop at 90 min..
    Look at the 4-day Texas splits in The Grey Book

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast