starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Condition outside of the gym

Default Condition outside of the gym

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey all - in the late stages of the Adv. Novice program right now (squats at 270x5x3), using the Onus Wunsler template from the book, and am feeling like I need to transition to Intermediate stuff soon. Squat sets are getting absolutely brutal even with the 7 min rest periods. Would also like to get the fat gain under control (creeping up above 15% body fat according to measurements and am feeling a little chubby). Don't want to limit food intake (which I'm shooting for 200g protein and +3K cals per day) since every time I've done that in the past my strength immediately craters.

For context, I'm 6'2" at 195lbs. Workset lifts are:

Squats - 270
    Bench - 190
    Press - 120
    Dead - 305
    Clean - 140
    Chins/Pulls - a little shy of 3x10 with BW

I'm planning to try out the Texas Method, just to get my gold star and see what it's like. Would like to start doing conditioning 2x per week on Tues and Sat per recommendations I've seen.

Would love to be able to use the rowing machine or cycle, but I'm only able to get to the gym 3x per week with my schedule (new dad, intense day job, demanding side hustle). I do walk my dog 2x per day every day, once in the morning, and once at night for about 30-45 min.

I know everyone hates running, but I'm thinking that's my best bet for adding in conditioning work since I can do it at the same time that I walk the dog. Wanted to get some opinions on different ideas and see what folks who are more experienced than I am think. Also for context, I have only done the SSLP workouts for the last 4-5 months, so I am in absolute shit shape conditioning wise.

Option 1 - build back up to being able to run for 30 mins extremely slowly (~10min mile pace) doing a Couch to 5k program, but only doing it on Tues and Sat. Most of the ones I've seen are built on 3x per week for 8 wks, so it'd take me 12 weeks if I just did the workouts 2x per week and worked through progression. Thought maybe this would be light enough and introduced slowly enough to not negatively affect strength gains while I transition to an intermediate program. Would not push at all and just get used to running/aerobic stress again. Idea would be to slowly introduce fartleks or sprints after that to move into HIIT.

Option 2 - sprints. I've seen 400s recommended. I have no idea how to sprint, or what I'm supposed to do form or programming-wise so this one scares me a bit. I have some tracks near my house that I could use and generally walk the dog early enough that I don't think anyone would care if she was sprinting with me at 5 am. A little worried this is too intense and will tank my progress, and don't know where to look for info on how to properly warm up, program volume, etc. Most of the stuff I find online seems pretty random.

Option 3 - there are some playgrounds near my house. Maybe I do some bodyweight Crossfit style stuff instead? I could work in some circuit intervals a couple times per week.

Option 4 - some other things I haven't thought of?

Really loving my progress so far on SS, but I want to get some general fitness back and feel better about the way I look as I transition into the world of intermediate probably within the next few weeks. Thanks in advance for advice!

Quote Originally Posted by industrialplaid View Post
    Hey all - in the late stages of the Adv. Novice program right now (squats at 270x5x3), using the Onus Wunsler template from the book, and am feeling like I need to transition to Intermediate stuff soon. Squat sets are getting absolutely brutal even with the 7 min rest periods. Would also like to get the fat gain under control (creeping up above 15% body fat according to measurements and am feeling a little chubby). Don't want to limit food intake (which I'm shooting for 200g protein and +3K cals per day) since every time I've done that in the past my strength immediately craters.

For context, I'm 6'2" at 195lbs. Workset lifts are:

Squats - 270
    Bench - 190
    Press - 120
    Dead - 305
    Clean - 140
    Chins/Pulls - a little shy of 3x10 with BW

I'm planning to try out the Texas Method, just to get my gold star and see what it's like. Would like to start doing conditioning 2x per week on Tues and Sat per recommendations I've seen.

Would love to be able to use the rowing machine or cycle, but I'm only able to get to the gym 3x per week with my schedule (new dad, intense day job, demanding side hustle). I do walk my dog 2x per day every day, once in the morning, and once at night for about 30-45 min.

I know everyone hates running, but I'm thinking that's my best bet for adding in conditioning work since I can do it at the same time that I walk the dog. Wanted to get some opinions on different ideas and see what folks who are more experienced than I am think. Also for context, I have only done the SSLP workouts for the last 4-5 months, so I am in absolute shit shape conditioning wise.

Option 1 - build back up to being able to run for 30 mins extremely slowly (~10min mile pace) doing a Couch to 5k program, but only doing it on Tues and Sat. Most of the ones I've seen are built on 3x per week for 8 wks, so it'd take me 12 weeks if I just did the workouts 2x per week and worked through progression. Thought maybe this would be light enough and introduced slowly enough to not negatively affect strength gains while I transition to an intermediate program. Would not push at all and just get used to running/aerobic stress again. Idea would be to slowly introduce fartleks or sprints after that to move into HIIT.

Option 2 - sprints. I've seen 400s recommended. I have no idea how to sprint, or what I'm supposed to do form or programming-wise so this one scares me a bit. I have some tracks near my house that I could use and generally walk the dog early enough that I don't think anyone would care if she was sprinting with me at 5 am. A little worried this is too intense and will tank my progress, and don't know where to look for info on how to properly warm up, program volume, etc. Most of the stuff I find online seems pretty random.

Option 3 - there are some playgrounds near my house. Maybe I do some bodyweight Crossfit style stuff instead? I could work in some circuit intervals a couple times per week.

Option 4 - some other things I haven't thought of?

Really loving my progress so far on SS, but I want to get some general fitness back and feel better about the way I look as I transition into the world of intermediate probably within the next few weeks. Thanks in advance for advice!
    You could start by adding a light running day on Saturday. That's least likely to interfere with your TM progress. After a couple of weeks, you could also add a met con on Tuesday, I would think, without too much negative impact on your training. Or another run, if you prefer. If you aren't in good enough running shape to do an easy 5k, I wouldn't sprint -- you're just not ready for it right now. If you want to do interval running, you could do 2-400m "strides" at a moderate pace with plenty of rest.

Anyway, that's how I'd approach it. Good luck!

. Squat sets are getting absolutely brutal even with the 7 min rest periods.

I'm 6'2" at 195lbs.

Try 10 minutes rest between sets.

And more calories.

Texas Method is hard at 6'2" 195

Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    You could start by adding a light running day on Saturday. That's least likely to interfere with your TM progress. After a couple of weeks, you could also add a met con on Tuesday, I would think, without too much negative impact on your training. Or another run, if you prefer. If you aren't in good enough running shape to do an easy 5k, I wouldn't sprint -- you're just not ready for it right now. If you want to do interval running, you could do 2-400m "strides" at a moderate pace with plenty of rest.

Anyway, that's how I'd approach it. Good luck!
    I like the idea of maybe just doing one day a week at first. Not sure what “strides” are. Just doing sprint length distances but at a moderate pace?

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Try 10 minutes rest between sets.

And more calories.

Can’t really add more rest to the workouts since I’m pushing my time limit. I work out in the morning before work and have a hard stop at 90 min. I know it’s not optimal but lifting is not my highest priority.

Will look at increasing cals especially when I start adding in conditioning.

I like the idea of maybe just doing one day a week at first. Not sure what “strides” are. Just doing sprint length distances but at a moderate pace?
    Right. Shorter distance, moderate pace, a little up tempo, focusing on good technique more than high effort. I find them helpful as a tool for getting back into runnning.

Quote Originally Posted by jonfla View Post
    Right. Shorter distance, moderate pace, a little up tempo, focusing on good technique more than high effort. I find them helpful as a tool for getting back into runnning.
    Got it. I like that idea more than my couch to 5k thing. Every time I try to re-introduce running of more than a mile my legs shrink and my squat dies a terrible death.

Any tips on where to look for technique for sprinting/running? I remember hearing about forefoot running. I tried to dig around on T-Nation and some other places, but it's kind of like the lifting thing, tons of routines with sets and rep schemes but very little discussion on how to sprint.

I know everyone hates running, but I'm thinking that's my best bet for adding in conditioning work since I can do it at the same time that I walk the dog.
    Maybe LISS is the way to go for you if you don't want to overamp on conditioning and kill your strength gains. Jordan's old section in Nutrition (now replaced I just noticed) talked about conditioning and body recomp using LISS. Walking your dog would seem to fit this bill just fine, especially given your time constraints as you describe them. You could get a heart rate (HR) monitor, or put a free app on your phone to periodically check your HR while doing yard work. You might be surprised what mowing the lawn, policing up fallen branches, and other such trivial seeming activities might contribute to your LISS cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiburon View Post
    Texas Method is hard. Period. 195 isn't great, but it's not like he's drastically underweight and needs to gain 50 lbs ASAP.

I know it’s not optimal but lifting is not my highest priority.
    Then I'd probably choose a different program.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark E. Hurling View Post
    You might be surprised what mowing the lawn, policing up fallen branches, and other such trivial seeming activities might contribute to your LISS cardio.
    They seem trivial because they are. ADLs are fine, and moving more is seldom a bad idea, but they don't constitute a worthwhile conditioning stimulus, unless you're not conditioning for anything more strenuous than a brisk walk.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    They seem trivial because they are. ADLs are fine, and moving more is seldom a bad idea, but they don't constitute a worthwhile conditioning stimulus, unless you're not conditioning for anything more strenuous than a brisk walk.
    So then, you reject Jordan's espousal of LISS as a means of conditioning and body recomp?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast