starting strength gym

Thread: Just an off day or something more serious?

Default Just an off day or something more serious?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Male 28YOA 196lbs 5'11" 3000kcal/day (and getting fat)
    Novice LP
    Deadlift 330lbs
    Squat 275lbs
    Bench 210lbs
    Press 155lbs
    Row 225lbs
    Chins 3x8xBW

Been making really solid progress on my LP. Squat still going up in 10lb jumps, bench in 5lb etc. Deadlift I had to hang about to fix some form issues so not sure where that is at the moment.

But today, I went to do my workout and I was SO WEAK! I could barely move 225 squats for warmup. Deadlift I couldnt get anything more than 315 off the floor, pressing above 135 was a no no. What the hell?! I've been getting my 8 hours sleep and my diet is SUPER consistent, I track macros and eat whole foods. Had brain fog last night and was making some stupid errors driving.

Does anyone have a similar experiences with random off days like this? Or is this out of the range of normal? A trip to the doctor perhaps? plz send help.

I should add my mind has gone to the "something more serious" avenue because I'm having some weird issues with abdominal distension and fatigue, although its never had any impact on my training before.

You don't mention stress. Young guys often aren't aware they are having life stresses until the first time it hits them -up until then things get shrugged off. I mention this because a mate of mine started having stomach issues, bloating, gas, constipation all traced to moving office/going to a holiday destination he compromised on.

You might just be coming down with something.

Quote Originally Posted by Nockian View Post
    You don't mention stress. Young guys often aren't aware they are having life stresses until the first time it hits them -up until then things get shrugged off. I mention this because a mate of mine started having stomach issues, bloating, gas, constipation all traced to moving office/going to a holiday destination he compromised on.

You might just be coming down with something.
    Althought I wouldn't say I'm unstressed, my stress level hasn't changed much (I have quite good stress level awareness having had an anxiety disorder in the past) and I don't have any major life events going on at the moment :/

I'll keep it mind though, pay attention for correlations and such.
    Thanks for the input dude.

How was your hydration? I get days like that now and then and always find that I have let myself get dehydrated. I focus on proper hydration for a day (not over hydration) and I’m generally back to normal the next day.

Also, did you maybe let your protein drop for a day or more?

1 of every 5 workouts you'll feel subpar;
    1 of every 5 workouts you'll feel like a king;
    3 of every 5 workouts will be unremarkable when you look back in your log

Everyone has bad days. Shake them off and move forward.

starting strength coach development program
    When I've had a really wtf kinda day in the past, sometimes, the next day I would come down with a cold/fever/something. I would feel fine the day before symptoms would show, but my body was fighting something and an extra stress was introduced that compromised my training that day.

That said, you still just shake it off and train - like Shug said.