starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Stand vs Power Rack

Default Squat Stand vs Power Rack

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Been on SS for 6 months and ready to upgrade my piece of junk rack I bought off Craigs List.

Looking at either a R3 or R4, and a bench. Budget is <$1K. Safety bar/straps are a must. Would also like to store my plates on it.

What else would most consider essential? I'm 44 and 6'5". Looking for something I can use for the next 10 years without any restrictions or regrets, as I plod down this barbell journey.

1) Infinity gauge rugged enough?
    2) Any thoughts on just getting like a S3 squat stand, as I don't need a pull up bar??

Thanks for any advice!!

Do you really need a full blown rack?? Other than losing out on the possible plate storage.

Just received the SML-1 Rogue 70" Monster Lite Squat Stand today with the spotter arms. Ordered it Monday evening. Actually cheaper than the S3 squat stand and you get heavy duty gauge. Just don't have the pull-up bar.

It will be replacing my old Craigslist full rack. I think the squat stand is great for the size, $$$$$$, and ability to move it around compared to a full rack.

Quote Originally Posted by Trash_Panda View Post
    Do you really need a full blown rack?? Other than losing out on the possible plate storage.
    I'm thinking no, as I already have a good pull up bar and at my height doing standing presses inside a power rack is not possible.

I'm just too new at this to predict what I might be missing later down the road, and I really don't want to buy another one for awhile.

I’ve lifted in both, so here’s my two cents:

In general, racks are more stable, but the S stands are really solid, so you won’t have anything to worry about. It’ll just vibrate a bit more if you have to bail. Technically racks are also safer, because there’s no way you aren’t covered by spotter arms. But that’s obviously easily mitigated using a stand if you know how far to walk out to stay over the safety arms. You can do all the important stuff with a stand- bench, press, squat. I don’t know about rack pulls or other stuff where you’re placing the bar on the safeties over and over though. Guess that’s one caveat. One last thing I’ll recommend is to make sure you get one that bolts to the floor and is connected at the bottom. I wouldn’t get the S4.
    Hope this helps

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    One last thing I’ll recommend is to make sure you get one that bolts to the floor and is connected at the bottom.
    I read this and thought “no shit Sherlock”. Sorry man!

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    I read this and thought “no shit Sherlock”. Sorry man!
    No worries, I know what you mean. Thanks for the advice.

starting strength coach development program
    I have both, a R3 and a S1 stand. As far as quality goes, it is awful hard to beat Rogue, so you've made a great choice there. Pros and cons of each IMO:
    R3 Pro's:
    -Solid as a rock
    -Versatile with all of the accessory items you can use (dips, monolift etc)
    -2 people can actuality use it at one time if need be with another set of j-cups
    Cons:
    -Takes up a little more room
    -Where it is mounted is where it stays
    S series stands Pro's:
    -Solid built
    -Movable
    -Some accessories will still work (make sure to get the 2x3 size at a minimum)
    Cons:
    -Not as stable
    -Less versatility

Either way, your training will be the same. You just need to figure out which one would be the better fit for the long haul, in other words are you going to be adding chins and dips and what not to your training as you progress. For me, the R3 is the buy, and if you need something else as well like you have more people lifting at the same time, then you add a stand.