starting strength gym

Thread: "Runners knee" injury problem squatting

Default "Runners knee" injury problem squatting

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've a "Runners Knee" injury (and I don't even run). According to my fysio therapist it's more of some muscles on the outside of my left leg which have trouble relaxing. This locks up my knee and is mostly seen with runners. He suggested triggerpoint massage (and if that doesn't help dry needling).

But what now while training? I tried my normal training this morning, my working weight at 70kg.
    I could get the first set for only 3 reps, the second set was a failure from rep 1. I did not try set 3, because my knee hurted too much and I noticed that I was putting all weight on my right leg.

I read the injury/recovery protocol (from the art of manliness site, I couldn't find it here on this forum), but that suggests I do sets with bar only for ? how long? everyday.
    And also I wasn't quite sure if this would help with my injury.

What should I do? Keep training lineair? or deload? go to my fysio therapist again?

Post a video of your squats. It's very likely that your form is the issue, not the knee injury.

As for that rehab protocol, start with the bar for high as hell reps, and add weight (10 pounds is a good starting point) to the bar every workout, tapering the reps down as the weight gets higher until you're back to 3x5.

Physios are generally clueless about training. Much has been written on this site about their silliness.

Will post video wednesday (getting the right angle and so).

regarding my physio: he's one of the very few who recommends to keep practicing/training

Actually:
    I hurt my hamstring a couple of weeks back (don't laugh but it was while playing soccer with my kids). Anyway, thank goodness it wasn't a hard snap. It did hurt like hell.
    He told me about old fashioned curing methods of not using the muscles etc in relation to start practicing as soon as possible. And funny thing is he also mentioned the prehistoric ages:
    when you broke your leg back then you had to move no matter the injury because no movement means death for sure. He also stated that the bones would heal anyway.
    The only reason for keeping a broken leg or arm in plaster (it's called plaster right?) is for mending the bones in a pretty straight correct way. But that was about the only help of it.
    Other then that, movement he considers is the best remedy for a lot of injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Şenol Tapirdamaz View Post
    Will post video wednesday (getting the right angle and so).

regarding my physio: he's one of the very few who recommends to keep practicing/training

Actually:
    I hurt my hamstring a couple of weeks back (don't laugh but it was while playing soccer with my kids). Anyway, thank goodness it wasn't a hard snap. It did hurt like hell.
    He told me about old fashioned curing methods of not using the muscles etc in relation to start practicing as soon as possible. And funny thing is he also mentioned the prehistoric ages:
    when you broke your leg back then you had to move no matter the injury because no movement means death for sure. He also stated that the bones would heal anyway.
    The only reason for keeping a broken leg or arm in plaster (it's called plaster right?) is for mending the bones in a pretty straight correct way. But that was about the only help of it.
    Other then that, movement he considers is the best remedy for a lot of injuries.
    For the video, try to get it at a 45-degree angle behind you.

Any news on this? I've got the same issue (runner's knee, and I am a runner).

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Jenkins View Post
    As for that rehab protocol, start with the bar for high as hell reps, and add weight (10 pounds is a good starting point) to the bar every workout, tapering the reps down as the weight gets higher until you're back to 3x5.
    That is definitely NOT the recommendation for a tendon overuse injury. As has been mentioned 152 times, the high-rep protocol is used only for muscle bellies and low backs. If the guy tried this, he'll never be back.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    That is definitely NOT the recommendation for a tendon overuse injury. As has been mentioned 152 times, the high-rep protocol is used only for muscle bellies and low backs. If the guy tried this, he'll never be back.
    Oops! Sorry, Rip!