starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why is the second/third set so much easier

Default Why is the second/third set so much easier

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So I've had this happen a couple of times now. Today, when I squat my first work set, it got pretty difficult after the 2nd or 3rd rep. The 5th rep dead paused about 1/3 of the way up for a what felt like 3-5 seconds. It was quite a grind but I completed the set. I waited 7 minutes for my second set and did 5 without a rep pausing. Some reps did slow, but not stopped for any time. Third set was perhaps the easiest after another 7 minute rest.

So why is this happening? Should I leave more time between my last warmup set and my first work set (probably takes me 2-3 minutes to set the work set weight and catch my breath)? Is there some other variable at play here?

-Andrew

What were the warm-ups and what was the work weight?

I've had this happen to me to. Sometimes it is jumping to the work set too quickly after the last warm up set. Sometimes I jump too far from warm up to work out, and this makes the first set much harder than it should be. Sometimes it's as simple as not expecting the weight to be as heavy as it is.

I think there's probably something to be said for neuromuscular efficiency as well. At lighter weights you can get away with slightly imperfect form, but the heavier you go the more important the execution of timing and form to move the weight. I think the first work set gets you primed for this.

Could be totally wrong about this, but as it has happened to me as well, this is what I've conjectured.

1st work set is always the hardest for me with the second being the easiest. I have learned that the Starting Strength app and it's warm up schedule is just to much of a jump for me from the last warm up to the work set especially on the squat. I have to have a last warm up closer to the actual work set than what the app says.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

The 3 work sets were 5 reps @ 230 lbs
    Warmups were:
    45 x 5
    90 x 5
    140 x 3
    185 x 2

I just moved from the "SS App" to "Strong: Exercise Gym Log, 5x5," so I had it calculate warmups at 40/60/80% of work sets (after empty bar). I actually decided that this was too low for the DL set warmups and bumped those percentages up, but that's another issue.

For reference I'm 5'5" 152lbs (this morning.... hoping my height increases over time, but as I'm 43yo it's not looking good ).

So based on this, do you think I need to a) increase percentages of warmup sets, particularly last 1-2, b) increase rest after last warmup set to more like 5 minutes from 2-3 it takes to setup the bar, c) both, d) something else, you fool?

-Andrew

I think your jumps look good. You don't want too much volume in the warm-up.

I would try resting more before the first set and see what that does for you.

BTW, when do you work out? I do early in the morning, and my first set of squats is always the worst. First set of presses is not the same, and the pulls are always easiest. Like I said earlier it could just be your CNS waking up.

Quote Originally Posted by evs0716 View Post
    I think your jumps look good. You don't want too much volume in the warm-up.

I would try resting more before the first set and see what that does for you.

BTW, when do you work out? I do early in the morning, and my first set of squats is always the worst. First set of presses is not the same, and the pulls are always easiest. Like I said earlier it could just be your CNS waking up.
    Warm-up needs can vary quite a bit from person to person. I'd have him try adding a single at 205-ish before the work sets and see if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by evs0716 View Post
    You don't want too much volume in the warm-up.
    Why not? I could argue the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    Why not?
    PPST3 pages 27 and 74.

Quote Originally Posted by BBB View Post
    I could argue the opposite.
    Please do.

starting strength coach development program
    I do work out in the morning, around 7:30-8, which gives me enough time for coffee (and its effects), as well as a light breakfast to settle.

I think the inner weenie might be involved here. I hate that guy.

I guess I'll try a little more rest before jumping into a work set. Failing that, I could try another heavier, single warmup rep in there as an experiment. One variable at a time though...

-Andrew

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast