starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Why is the second/third set so much easier

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just a quick comment on tests / displays of strength and training strength...

The novice linear progression has the trainee testing and training their strength during each workout. You are testing or displaying that you can recover/adapt to the previous training dose in the 48-72 hour interval. This allows you to increase the weight each time in the gym.

This is one of the reasons that the rest periods and warmups (as well as other loads like cardio) are so important to control in the novice lp.

Thanks again for all the great advice here (and spirited discussion)! I added a little more rest time btwn last WU and work set and it does seem to help significantly. I was starting to get to weights which would have made sense to experiment with that 90% triple on squats but then, dang it, I tore a muscle near my groin descending on a 240lb squat work set rep. This kind of sucks, if you've never had the pleasure. Anyway, I'm on the Starr protocol for the time being, but I will definitely try that single @ 90% once I'm back at it.

-Andrew

starting strength coach development program
    I'm jumping on this bandwagon. I've been doing a single or double at 90% for a final warm up (and to cut off the Someone dropped a house on my shoulders! for squats for a 20% jump), but I've never added a three minute rest between the final warm up and the working sets.

It does help, a lot, in getting them consistent.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234