starting strength gym

Thread: Baker's GGW - Conditioning and Cardio

Default Baker's GGW - Conditioning and Cardio

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

I'm considering switching to Andy Baker's Garage Gym Warrior program after completing my Novice LP (estimating about 10 - 11 more weeks).

I haven't done any cardio or conditioning during my Novice phase as an attempt to keeping pushing up the numbers. However, I'd like to incorporate this kind of training when I switch to GGW. My goal is general physical preparedness.

To be clear, when I say "cardio" I mean traditional stuff like treadmill, elliptical, rower etc. Andy lists this in his program under the cardio FAQ section.

When I say "conditioning" I'm thinking more like sled/prowler training, sandbag or other heavy carries, or HIIT. Andy doesn't mention this specifically in the program.

To anyone who has or is running through the program, which have you tried, why, and would you recommend cardio or conditioning?

And also, feel free to say "you're overthinking it, pick one and do that".

Thanks.

I am on my 2nd cycle of GGW. I hit all my goals of a 5% increase on my lifts with the first cycle.

On my non-lifting days I did some concept2 rowing or Crossfit style workouts to get my heart rate up. I didn't notice any negative effects.

KISS method in my opinion. What are your goals? What do you enjoy doing?

Quote Originally Posted by Trash_Panda View Post
    I am on my 2nd cycle of GGW. I hit all my goals of a 5% increase on my lifts with the first cycle.

On my non-lifting days I did some concept2 rowing or Crossfit style workouts to get my heart rate up. I didn't notice any negative effects.

KISS method in my opinion. What are your goals? What do you enjoy doing?
    Thanks for the input. I'm a father of three, and I like to be outside and do yard work, so I guess my conditioning goals would be to help me be better at those things. Not really into the physique thing but don't want to get too fat either. I'm also trying to "get in shape to train" like Andy always says.

So I'm thinking some kind of prowler or sled dragging conditioning work is really best for me, but not really sure if that's the right route.

You didn't notice any negative effects on your training, but did you notice any positives either? Like decreased rest time or ability to complete volume more "easily"?

I'm on GGW right now and I prowler work post workout on Wednesday and HIIT on a rower Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Schexnayder View Post
    Thanks for the input. I'm a father of three, and I like to be outside and do yard work, so I guess my conditioning goals would be to help me be better at those things. Not really into the physique thing but don't want to get too fat either. I'm also trying to "get in shape to train" like Andy always says.

So I'm thinking some kind of prowler or sled dragging conditioning work is really best for me, but not really sure if that's the right route.

You didn't notice any negative effects on your training, but did you notice any positives either? Like decreased rest time or ability to complete volume more "easily"?
    I didn't notice any negative in that I didn't miss any reps/workouts because of the stuff I did outside of GGW. I am sure I wasn't as fresh as I could have been going into some of the lifting sessions.

Positives are I just didn't feel like a big dumb strong animal, actually being able to run around and able to function with a heart rate at a high level is something I have to have in my profession.

starting strength coach development program
    I am at the end of the first run of GGW and will have made my goals. You should buy a copy of the program. Just seeing how Andy built the program is worth the fee.

Andy addresses conditioning in the FAQ that comes with the program. To paraphrase, he recommends 2-4 days of conditioning for 20-40 minutes at a time. He isn't a fan of running, cross-fit, or body weight thrash about, but things like prowler, sled, treadmill, rower, and such are good.

The only problem I had with conditioning like activity hurting my lifting was when the rainy season started and I had to mow my hill. Other than that, I do spinning, treadmill intervals, and yard work.