starting strength gym

Thread: Make-do training

Default Make-do training

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    For a number of stupid reasons, I'm traveling for work this week and I forgot to pack my weight belt and lifting shoes. I will have access to a gym at the YMCA, so I'll have access to barbells.

Is it better to squat in running sneakers or leather dress shoes (the heel on the dress shoe is about an inch)? My usual shoes are an older-model Adidas powerlift (I think about a 1/2 inch heel). I basically plan to use this as a light day, de-loading by about 25%, and returning to my normal work weight when I return to my regular gym and equipment on Thursday.

I guess a similar question is that if you are stuck training without your weight belt, is there a rule of thumb for choosing a weight on the bar? 75-80% of the usual work weight (or something like that)?

I'm a novice middle-aged lifter, doing a linear progression, if it matters.

Absolutely not sneakers - will leak too much energy. I'd do it barefoot - lifted into the 350s barefoot before I bought lifting shoes. If you want to do it the cheap way, do it barefoot with a plate under your feet. I wouldn't use dress shoes more because of personal preference than anything and I have experience squatting barefoot.

I do beltless squats at a 10% reduction, personally. 15-20% is safe. If you're de-loading by 25% already, though, I don't know why you'd need to deload another 10-15% unless you were very carefully managing recovery/work stress.

Quote Originally Posted by coleossus View Post
    Absolutely not sneakers - will leak too much energy. I'd do it barefoot - lifted into the 350s barefoot before I bought lifting shoes. If you want to do it the cheap way, do it barefoot with a plate under your feet. I wouldn't use dress shoes more because of personal preference than anything and I have experience squatting barefoot.

I do beltless squats at a 10% reduction, personally. 15-20% is safe. If you're de-loading by 25% already, though, I don't know why you'd need to deload another 10-15% unless you were very carefully managing recovery/work stress.
    Thanks for your response. I ended up doing as you suggested--simply doing squats barefoot. They felt great--and 10% reduction was just fine. Thanks for your insight.