starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery time between Sets & Reps

Default Recovery time between Sets & Reps

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am doing weights on Monday's & Friday's.

Monday: 5 reps/3 sets of Deadlift + Bench Press + Squats.

Friday: 5 reps/3 sets of Deadlift + Shoulder Press + Squats

What should be the time space between sets and reps?

I have been waiting for my weight rate to reduce to 105bpm but I wondered what the conventional wisdom is.

Thanks,

Jon

“As long as it takes to get the reps”. In the early phases of LP it can be as short as a minute; by the end of LP it can be as long as ten minutes between sets.

I’ve found my LP sweet spot to be six minutes, and eight on intensity days when I cut over to HLM programming.

YMMV wildly.

I do five minutes when the weight feels less challenging. Six between most sets (that one minute makes a world of difference). I’ll do as much as eight minutes before the last set of squats. And I usually wait about 5 minutes after warming up deadlifts before doing the work set.

Conventional wisdom is as much as 8 minutes, under the assumption that muscular replenishment of ATP happens within an 8 minute time frame - which is assuming you have enough carbohydrates or BCAAs in your system (i.e. from a pre-workout carb-heavy meal, slogging down gatorade during your workout, or sipping on BCAAs + water, whatever).

The longer you wait, the more time your muscles have to restore ATP. If you take shorter rests, you begin training more hypertrophy-related adaptations that result in your muscles learning to store more glucose for ATP generation (super shorthand explanation). A lot of people prefer to keep it to 3-5 minute rests for this purpose. A lot of body-builder splits expect you to take 2 minute reps, but typically feature low intensity high repetition programming - harder to do this with high intensity work.

On top of that, if you're doing let's say 3 sets across 3 movements as in LP and taking 8 minute rests each time, that's 24 minutes of resting per movement - you have an hour and a half of just sitting around, not including set up, warm ups, or accessory work. Not feasible for many people who want short workouts.

Depends on what your goal is and what you can accomplish.

Wow, that is much longer between sets/reps than I thought. Are we saying here that there isn't a distinction between sets and reps when it comes to the delay between each?

What does LP stand for?

Quote Originally Posted by Jon12345 View Post
    Wow, that is much longer between sets/reps than I thought. Are we saying here that there isn't a distinction between sets and reps when it comes to the delay between each?

What does LP stand for?
    Linear Progression ... the "Program", that the whole site is about....the idea that you can add 5# to the bar about every 48 hours.

5 minutes between set to set, just the worksets, NOT the warmups and other stuff.

You say "reps" above in a odd way , reps are done continously, one after another, with no rest of course (maybe 1-3 seconds).

My mistake. I meant to say should the time space between sets be the same as the time space between the end of sets for exercise 1 and the beginning of exercise 2.

starting strength coach development program
    You should be warming up in between exercises. For some just the time it takes to do the warm up is enough rest between exercises. I like to take about 2 - 3 minutes before my first set of squats and about 2 - 3 minutes before doing the deadlift work sets. But for presses I usually start right after finishing the warm up.