starting strength gym

Thread: Quick workout... squats?

Default Quick workout... squats?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Tonight i had to be quick with my workout because my wife wanted to go out...

Is it better to skip a workout and do the next day or do it but only squats?

It depends on a lot of things, but generally, complying to the plan is better than not (or rather complying more to the plan is better than less)
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

My understanding is quite limited, as I am only a novice myself, but I think that it is the total volume of all three lifts combined that constitutes the stress applied for adaptation to occur, and what elicits the requisite hormonal response. I’m not sure that just squatting provides enough stress.

So my guess is just skip and do the entire workout as early as convenient rather than do just one lift.

Quote Originally Posted by Dustman007 View Post
    Tonight i had to be quick with my workout because my wife wanted to go out...

Is it better to skip a workout and do the next day or do it but only squats?
    Depends on your programming, especially intermediate/advanced programming when you're doing longer-term periodization and accumulating workload stress over a week with a collection of different lifts. For example The Bridge has you do belted squats on Monday, pause squats Wednesday, and 303 tempo squats on Friday: skipping any one of those is going to alter the intended accumulation of training stress (granted, Bridge is RPE training which is something entirely different - just a rough example.).

If you're on LP, skipping one day isn't a big deal precisely because it's linear and the accumulation of training stress happens in 48 hour cycles. There had been times in the past I'd skipped a day in my LP and just did the workout I missed on the next appropriate day without an issue - the equivalent of a light (no activity) Wednesday. On LP I've skipped as much as a week and just redid the last workout I completed successfully on the next Monday (assuming a MWF schedule). LP is pretty forgiving like that.

Whatever is lagging just do that, and skip the rest

I thick coleossus is on the right track in that it depends on your programming. If you can do the entire workout uninterrupted one day later - without affecting recovery leading to the workout after that - it's your best bet.

If that's impossible, I see two viable options: Just do one lift as programmed (ex. just squat) or if you have time to warm up properly for each lift, do all three lifts but only one work set - if you have time to go through all the warm up sets without rushing.

For me, it depends on my schedule. If I am confident that I can fit in a full workout on another day, I'll do that. If there's a danger I'll miss a workout altogether, I'll prioritise squats.

starting strength coach development program
    I ended up doing squats 4x5 on thurs night then an intensive chest pump friday night.
    Intend to do next workout sunday night... hopefully fully recovered... i did heavy triples on bench press...