starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do I combine SS with training for enduring strength?

Default How do I combine SS with training for enduring strength?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I am a 45 year old male who has been training following your program for about 4 weeks. Before that I had not done any weight training for approximately 20 years.
    The last year or so I have developed a tendency to strain my lower back at times. Usually I sit all day. Then one day I have to change the tyres on my car. While I am at it I carry some heavy materials for home improvement the same day and bam the next day I almost cannot move my lower back.
    When I started my deadlift 5 RM was at 50 kg. Now it is at 70 kg. Considering that my body weight is 95 kg this is very low.
    On the other hand I will "never" lift anything heavier than this outside the gym. Each tyre weigh mabye 25 kg. Building materials weigh maybe max 50 kg.
    What I really need is the ability to deadlift say 60 kg, just in case, for many reps. 5 reps will definitely not cut it, neither will 10. I think that if I can deadlift 60 kg for 25 reps I'm good.
    I understand that in order to be able to do many reps it is important that the 1RM is large. If I deadlift 120 kg for 1RM, 60 kg is only 50% of that.
    So that is one important component. But it does not take me all the way. I am sure there are many people that are not able to do 25 reps of their 1 RM.
    In order to be able to do that I think one must also train with 15 or more reps. I am not sure what people call this so I use the term train for enduring strength.

I want to continue following the SS program but also add in some 15 or more reps training. How do i best do this?

I am currently training SS twice a week, which seems to work fine for me. One option could be to add 1 extra day with enduring strength training.

Another option could be to add 1 or more set of enduring strength training for each muscle group at the end of each workout.

Also I have read that it is not advisable to do many reps of the SS exercises due to breakdown in form leading to risk of hurting myself?
    I can understand this for the deadlift. For the bench not really. I think that it should not be a problem doing many reps of bench, since this is quite easy.
    For shoulderpress not certain. Squat is quite difficult. On the other hand the weight I am at is very low: 5x50 kg; so bodyweight squat is probably around 50% of my 1RM max, and I can't see that being dangerous.

Which SS exercise should I avoid for enduring strength training and what should I replace them with?

Thank in advance for any answers!

Quote Originally Posted by andyP View Post
    I am a 45 year old male who has been training following your program for about 4 weeks. Before that I had not done any weight training for approximately 20 years.
    The last year or so I have developed a tendency to strain my lower back at times. Usually I sit all day. Then one day I have to change the tyres on my car. While I am at it I carry some heavy materials for home improvement the same day and bam the next day I almost cannot move my lower back.
    When I started my deadlift 5 RM was at 50 kg. Now it is at 70 kg. Considering that my body weight is 95 kg this is very low.
    On the other hand I will "never" lift anything heavier than this outside the gym. Each tyre weigh mabye 25 kg. Building materials weigh maybe max 50 kg.
    What I really need is the ability to deadlift say 60 kg, just in case, for many reps. 5 reps will definitely not cut it, neither will 10. I think that if I can deadlift 60 kg for 25 reps I'm good.
    I understand that in order to be able to do many reps it is important that the 1RM is large. If I deadlift 120 kg for 1RM, 60 kg is only 50% of that.
    So that is one important component. But it does not take me all the way. I am sure there are many people that are not able to do 25 reps of their 1 RM.
    In order to be able to do that I think one must also train with 15 or more reps. I am not sure what people call this so I use the term train for enduring strength.

I want to continue following the SS program but also add in some 15 or more reps training. How do i best do this?

I am currently training SS twice a week, which seems to work fine for me. One option could be to add 1 extra day with enduring strength training.

Another option could be to add 1 or more set of enduring strength training for each muscle group at the end of each workout.

Also I have read that it is not advisable to do many reps of the SS exercises due to breakdown in form leading to risk of hurting myself?
    I can understand this for the deadlift. For the bench not really. I think that it should not be a problem doing many reps of bench, since this is quite easy.
    For shoulderpress not certain. Squat is quite difficult. On the other hand the weight I am at is very low: 5x50 kg; so bodyweight squat is probably around 50% of my 1RM max, and I can't see that being dangerous.

Which SS exercise should I avoid for enduring strength training and what should I replace them with?

"Which SS exercise should I avoid for enduring strength training and what should I replace them with?"

Avoid none. Replace none.

Do the program as written. Finish LP with your squat in the 200s for 5s, then start to specialize.

If you're worried about form issues, hire a coach.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    Fulcrum. Don't be a cunt. Either answer the question courteously or say nothing. This isn't reddit.
    Starting Strength Indianapolis is up and running. Sign up for a free 30-minute coaching session.
    I answer all my emails: ALewis@StartingStrengthGyms.com

Sir, I would advise you to do the program as written for now.
    As your working weights for deadlift increases, 60kg will become an increasingly sub-maximal effort and become increasingly easy to do for higher repetitions.

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    Sir, I would advise you to do the program as written for now.
    As your working weights for deadlift increases, 60kg will become an increasingly sub-maximal effort and become increasingly easy to do for higher repetitions.
    This. We use the barbell because it's ergonomic and allows us to lift really heavy weight and get strong, so that the 25kg vehicle tire or sack that has to be moved in a much more awkward way becomes manageable, and even easy. Strength development absolutely has a significant and positive impact on endurance, all the moreso when you're not very strong to begin with.

I'm only about halfway through the novice progression myself but I would agree with everyone else's replies and say do the program as written.

One thing many people overlook is the fact that the novice phase is not meant to last long at all. Six to nine months is what I've read is typical; sometimes it's as short as three. Really it depends on the individual, but overall the progression is short lived.

After that, maybe look at something like a One Lift Per Day routine where you can maintain strength on the big lifts and still build in plenty of time for muscular endurance accessory work. But remember, the stronger you get before starting that kind of work, the more benefits you can reap when you start doing it.
    Last edited by Eric Schexnayder; 06-15-2018 at 09:09 AM.

Thank you AndrewLewis for your reply. However a bit more motivation and reasoning would be helpful.
    I am aware that the standard answer is "don't mess with the program". However my goal is not increase 1RM as fast as possible, which seems to be the aim of SS. I do not see what harm adding say 1 set of 15 reps at the end of each workout can do. On the other hand it could possibly help save my back. Say I only can do 20 reps regardless of the weight. The moment I lift a tyre for the 21st time some of my muscles stop working. As a result the body employ other muscles that should not be involved in the lift. Eg. I start flexing my spine instead of rotating my hips.

On the other hand I will "never" lift anything heavier than this outside the gym.
    On yet another hand, you will "never" lift anything as conveniently designed as a barbell outside the gym. You are forced to use less advantageous grip and leverages. You may have to lift things higher than your waist etc. I think you need to build in a bit of headroom into these goals.

Yes, I think you should aim for a 5rm somewhere up here, or maybe even 150kg, *at least*. This is plausibly within your novice progression, depending on your sensitivity to training, general size etc.

In order to be able to do that I think one must also train with 15 or more reps.
    I'm not an SSC, but I'm a bit leery of marathon sets of deadlift for the safety reasons you noted yourself. (Look up 20-rep sets of squats, they have quite the reputation for being "hard".)

Instead I'd look at stringing together a few sets of 5 or so, and progressively reducing the rest time. If you can make it to 20 reps in 4 or 5 sets with (eventually) less than 1 minute rests, would that be useful conditioning for your goals?

Some might say the RDL is better suited to high volume work than the straight deadlift, but I've read a variety of opinions on them. I doubt an SSC would recommend any variations to you at your stage. Also consider conditioning away from the barbells. The sled, the rowing machine and/or the bike might be better suited to your goals. But IMO the immediate priority should be continued progress on your 5rm.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you AndrewLewis for your reply. However a bit more motivation and reasoning would be helpful.
    I am aware that the standard answer is "don't mess with the program". However my goal is not increase 1RM as fast as possible, which seems to be the aim of SS. I do not see what harm adding say 1 set of 15 reps at the end of each workout can do. On the other hand it could possibly help save my back. Say I only can do 20 reps regardless of the weight. The moment I lift a tyre for the 21st time some of my muscles stop working. As a result the body employ other muscles that should not be involved in the lift. Eg. I start flexing my spine instead of rotating my hips.
    Your muscles won't "stop working" (spoiler: they actually don't) quite as soon when you can deadlift 200 kg for 5 instead of 70. Is that argument not convincing to you or just not clear?

Adding extra work to the program is a great way to make it stall sooner than it needs to. You asked what to change and why. Your question was answered pretty unanimously by a pretty diverse array of posters. Now you have to decide whether to just go ahead and do what you wanted to do all along anyway.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast