starting strength gym

Thread: Novice LP Program questions...

Default Novice LP Program questions...

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    1. For squats... if im feeling strong on first set can i bump up the weight?
    2. For bench press can i do 5 sets of triples? I can bump up weight and still reach same working reps
    3. Why can i bench press 100kg but struggle to squat 100kg? I am only deadlifting 50kg because i keep getting lower back pain.
    4. After a heavy squat day my quads are sore but so are my knees and spine. Am i doing something wrong?
    5. About 3 months ago i was doing squat sets of 100kg easy.... now i struggle to do them. Have i gotten weaker? Why?

Thanks in advance

Also, opinions on pilates? For improving flexibility and core strength.

Hard to tell... but i think rip doesnt think much of them..

New Gym Only Has Fat Bars

Quote Originally Posted by Dustman007 View Post
    2. For bench press can i do 5 sets of triples? I can bump up weight and still reach same working reps
    3. Why can i bench press 100kg but struggle to squat 100kg? I am only deadlifting 50kg because i keep getting lower back pain.
    4. After a heavy squat day my quads are sore but so are my knees and spine. Am i doing something wrong?
    5. About 3 months ago i was doing squat sets of 100kg easy.... now i struggle to do them. Have i gotten weaker? Why?

Thanks in advance
    1. No.
    2. Are you missing reps doing 5s?
    3. No idea. Can’t see any of your squats, bench presses, or deadlifts from here. Smells like a form issue.
    4. The spine doesn’t get sore. That being said, smells like a form issue.
    5. See 4. and 5.

Thanks in advance
    1. Just nail the weight as planned. You have plenty of time to add weight in the future. Plus, three moderate sets of five will allow you to practice your best form.
    2. You certainly can do this and get stronger, but there is a reason the program calls for five reps. Fives are more sustainable and great for building a base of strength. Worry about triples and other rep ranges when you're an intermediate.
    3. It sounds like your squat and deadlift could use some technique help. It's tough as a novice to tell what you're doing wrong - sometimes everything looks fine on video to your eye, but an experienced coach can provide a much more experienced critique. Get your form looked at.
    4. Maybe, but we generally look at more observable things to gauge form: things like bar being over the mid foot, knees tracking properly, good depth, spinal position...lots of things that aren't really related to soreness. If your joints are in pain frequently, it's even more reason to have your lifts looked at.
    5. Maybe. Or maybe you were squatting very shallow and now you are going to the right depth. Hard to say without video. Ideally as a novice you have several weeks of light to moderate work before the weights become more grueling. This allows you to correct form flaws while the bar load isn't as big a factor. Consider stripping some weight off the bar and building back up. Wait a second...I thought on question 1 you said that they felt easy? Either way, pick a more moderate weight and nail your technique down with the goal of surpassing 100kg with even better form.

Thanks. Ive been seeing a coach and i thought my form was pretty good, at least for squats... ill have to go back.

On thurs night i did squats
    80kg x 5
    85kg x 5
    90kg x 5
    75kg x 7
    75kg x 4

If i was following the program id have done 85kg 3 x 5

Has been 3 days since squats... not looking forward to next workout as my lower back is aching. Can i do a deload to 60kg for this workout and work on form?

I think you might be right on the half squats... i think i am getting closer to depth now compared to a couple months ago.

My coach has actually done me a program... which im not following as ive been doing ss for the last two weeks.

His program is 4 workouts per week. 2 x bench press, 1 x squat, 1 x deadlift... each workout has a bunch of assistance exercises. Eg, squats, paused squat, lunges. Maybe its a little too advanced for me?

If i was following the program id have done 85kg 3 x 5
    Right. That makes sense assuming your reps at 85kg were good quality.

Has been 3 days since squats... not looking forward to next workout as my lower back is aching. Can i do a deload to 60kg for this workout and work on form?
    A muscle pump in spinal erector muscles is fine, but lower back aches and pains are different. It depends what you're experiencing.

You asked about whether your current program is too advanced for you. I don't know the details, but it really depends on the frequency, volume and load that he is asking you to perform. As a novice you have the benefit of being able to make some great gains, but you are also just learning the squat for the first time (I assume) and probably need some guidance on how to perform them and probably some of the other lifts too. That's why it's not right for me to give you programming advice, because I have no way of knowing if your squats are any good. A deload for form makes sense if they really need work - a big deload if they're a mess and a small deload if you just have a few things to work on.

To speak generally on novice programming, there are a lot of things that will work for you. I think Rip hit on a very good moderation with three sets of five. You want to avoid a program that focuses on beating you up with lots of volume every time you squat.

Thanks baresteel.

Also... on my press my garage isnt high enough for me to do press standing. Ok to press sitting? I struggle with balance when i get heavy...

Tonight deloaded my squat from 85kg to 75kg... felt much easier. Did 5x5

When you deload, it will in fact feel much easier. I don't see anything in any of your posts that indicates that you are even trying to do this program correctly. I am amazed that these good people keep responding to you. Do you have the book?

starting strength coach development program
    It's not ideal - the standing press offers more benefits than the seated press. Do you have the option of pressing outside when it's not raining? The only limitation would be that you must be able to clean the barbell into position to start each set, since you won't have a rack to hold the bar up.