starting strength gym

Thread: Questions on using sled's - lawn and winter

Default Questions on using sled's - lawn and winter

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm in my early 50's, working through the Novice phases per Barbell Prescription and Starting Strength, will be adding conditioning in the upcoming months. I have a Concept2 rower/erg, and am considering getting a sled so I can do some of my training outdoors.
    Indoor use is not an option, and our road is gravel and barely maintained in the winter, so unless I want to use the sled on an uneven icey surface I'm limited to a mowed area for a good portion of the year.

Any type (ones with feet vs rails) better for use on grass? "Better" meaning both doesn't completely destroy the lawn, and it's possible to use the thing when the ground is soft.
    Can they be used in the snow, or is this not even an option?. I'm in Wisconsin, so this is an issue.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

They can't be used on a lawn without destroying the turf, they can't be used on snow or any other surface that yields to the pressure unless you don't use any weight. They are designed for dry level pavement or AstroTurf over concrete.

I have a home built prowler that I use on my grass. I had to use skids with an extended, gentle radius curve to push it on my lawn. It still digs into the grass on occasion. I don't have a choice though. It's either grass or the gravel driveway. Grass is also much harder to push on so you can't load it as much as when used on pavement, and forget about winter use... I used to use my kids for weight when they were small

Quote Originally Posted by skid View Post
    I used to use my kids for weight when they were small
    I do the same thing with my kids. It's a way for them to participate in my workouts and have fun. They also like band assisted pullups, well more like a human sling shot I am hoping that it will help instill a desire to train when they get older.

For the O.P. Do you have a need for a sidewalk? A convenient way for the wife to get from the front door to the car? Frame out and pour one and it can serve double duty. Some advice, if you do this don't tell the wife that it's really for you!

Do you have room for a broken treadmill in your garage, carport, basement? You could pick one up dirt cheap or possibly even free. Then you just push the belt manually. Granted, it's not incrementally loadable like a sled, but does the job when the weather isn't cooperating. Where I work there is a broken Precor and True treadmill I use for this purpose. The True has a more resistant belt than the Precor if that helps.
    Scott Acosta, SSC, Westside Barbell Coach, USAPL Coach, Nice Guy
    essentialbarbell@yahoo.com
    For the love of God, just do the fucking program

Thanks, sounds like I'll save a couple hundred bucks and just push the kids up the hill in their sleds during the winter. Last week's is almost gone, but we'll have plenty soon.
    There's no sidewalk along the road, and the road, our driveway and front "walk" are all gravel...not exactly an urban area.

Torque Fitness makes a wheeled sled with magnetic resistance. It is all terrain, indoor and outdoor. They have two versions the Tank M2 and the just released Tank M4. The major difference is the M4 has magnetic resistance on each end. They are expensive and it is hard to justify the expense. Nevertheless, I ordered one on the sale they had on Black Friday. After it arrives and I have a chance to use it, I will see if I made a mistake or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Acosta View Post
    Do you have room for a broken treadmill in your garage, carport, basement? You could pick one up dirt cheap or possibly even free. Then you just push the belt manually. Granted, it's not incrementally loadable like a sled, but does the job when the weather isn't cooperating. Where I work there is a broken Precor and True treadmill I use for this purpose. The True has a more resistant belt than the Precor if that helps.
    I've done these deadmills - they're killer, and can attest to the fact they work. 30 second sprint intervals could get my heart rate over 170 by the second interval. No other piece of equipment in the gym could match that intensity. The concept 2 rower could only get me to about 150.

I can't compare them to a prowler though - I've never actually seen one, much less used one.

-->Adam

P.S. I had permission from the gym owner to do deadmills. Be sure to ask first before trying to do it on someone else's treadmill - many believe they can damage working treadmills. I don't know if that's true or not, but the one I use is fine.
    Last edited by Adam Levine; 11-25-2018 at 03:26 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott.Acosta View Post
    Treadmill pushes are awesome when you don't have access to a sled or the weather won't allow you to use a sled. I purchased a Tank M1 sled to push outside but when I can't use it I will be doing manual treadmill pushes for intervals. I did it today for the first time and it was killer. I only managed five intervals of 30-45 seconds w/ 2-3 minute rest periods. I'll build from there to a max of fifteen intervals of 1 min push / 1 min rest.

Andy Baker also recommends these when a prowler/sled cannot be used.

My New Addiction for HIIT Conditioning & Cardio - Andy Baker