starting strength gym

Thread: Can I Clean????

Default Can I Clean????

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    For those of us (including me) who Wonder if we should be excused from power cleans, a helpful reminder:

Sport Fails TV on Twitter: "How can you fail to be impressed by this amazing woman?… "

AWESOME
    Thanks for posting

Wow! Just a little impressive there.

The new defacto response to creative clean avoiders.

It reminds me of a poster here, mwhities. He hasn't been around in a while, but he not only squatted, bench pressed, and deadlifted with only one arm; he even competed doing so.

As I recall, he posted some videos of his competition.

So have you started Cleaning ?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Fangman View Post
    The new defacto response to creative clean avoiders.
    not really^.

most common excuses I see around here are: tight wrists-elbows-shoulders/lack of mobility in the front rack position
    ....and of course, the reality of: lack of in-person real time coaching.

I mean, she is great and impressive and inspiring and all that.
    But she seems to be able to rack the bar quite easily, which seems to be the major obstacle around here.
    I bet she front squats regularly too.

Also, she's at a crossfit gym/box (or something like that) apparently, so I assume she's got some basic regular coaching on the Olympic lifts, and regular practice.
    Not that crossfit is all that great, but there's at least a modicum of basic understanding of the lifts there ... and coaches, etc.

So shaming a typical middle aged noob trainee with no strength training background into teaching themselves power cleans,
    and maybe "cleaning" themselves into an injury, doesn't seem smart.
    Can't bench or press if wrist or elbow is f'd up.

There's a guy at my gym with one leg missing, the one leg he does have left is (surprisingly) completely atrophied.
    He does a million chin ups / pull ups over several minutes.
    *Everyone impressed/big spectacle*
    I'm like, "Of course he does. Its math" (inside my mind).
    But what cracks me up about this guy, is he parks his nice muscle car in the absolute farthest spot away from the gym's front door.
    Probably 300+feet.
    Double parks, so he doesn't get door-dinged.
    That's what cracks me / makes me smile up about this guy. Not the pull ups.
    "Chip on his shoulder....good." (i think)

also btw: Most handicap or disabled people just want to be treated like everyone else.
    So maybe just hit the like button, or give the thumbs up, and move on, like everyone else posting a video of a clean (with two legs).
    So with that said, she has some pretty bad arm pull/early arm bend there ... and jerks the bar off the floor.

(bring the hate)

Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    not really^.

most common excuses I see around here are: tight wrists-elbows-shoulders/lack of mobility in the front rack position
    ....and of course, the reality of: lack of in-person real time coaching.

(bring the hate)
    No hate here, but at age 62 (68 now) "tight wrists-elbows-shoulders/lack of mobility in the front rack position" prevented Steve Hill from teaching me the clean at an SS seminar. So he and Rip went to Plan B, which was to teach me the power snatch. My biggest problem was a lack of wrist flexibility. Which I never had anyway, not even as a teenager. Probably too many prior years of hauling hay bales and stacking them 5 high, I dunno. In any event, that experience tends to undermine your "lack of in-person real time coaching" assertion.

Even so, I tried doing them on and off ever since high school and sucked and still suck at them. A year or so back, when I decided to quit competing in powerlifting and take up the highland games, I took up high pulls to hopefully improve my aging and creaky explosiveness. Since there is no "rack" at the "top" (whatever height that might be) of that particular lift, it's not and issue for me.

YMMV.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Fulcrum View Post
    So shaming a typical middle aged noob trainee with no strength training background into teaching themselves power cleans,
    and maybe "cleaning" themselves into an injury, doesn't seem smart.
    Can't bench or press if wrist or elbow is f'd up.
    You make good points, and I would agree that the woman in the video likely has the benefit of youth, time, coaching, etc. My purpose in posting wasn’t to “shame” anyone into teaching themselves anything. I found the video to be a powerful reminder that our limitations might not be what they think they are, and I thought others might enjoy.

It’s like watching a video of Kirk Karwoski squatting 1000 lbs: I think it’s motivating. It doesn’t make me think I can go out to my garage and squat half a ton, or that I ever will.

And anyone reading these forums who is unaware of the importance of practice and coaching is not paying much attention, and is unlikely to rush out and toss up some heavy cleans because they saw a video.