starting strength gym

Thread: Not sure if i should keep the bench/press

Default Not sure if i should keep the bench/press

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I have mixed feelings about the bench and the press. I think that its the best way to go as a novice and i would have never gotten to where i'm at by doing push-up/dumbbells/machines. But now that the weight is getting fairly heavy for me (around 155p/225b @195 bw), it seems like it would be unhealthy and dangerous to push the enveloppe past that point. I'm just a casual lifter without a coach and i don't intend to compete in powerlifting. I just like the idea of being strong (not at an elite level) and healthy for as long as possible. Also, i dont feel like the press/bench as any carryover to the squat/deadlift, and all the "heavy" task that i do in "real life" are more of a variation of squat/deadlift/row. I rarely push anything with my arms per say, when i push something I mostly rely on my core/legs/back.

The problems i have with the bench :
    • Almost impossible to setup or perform safely in all the gyms i've been to. The regular benches are terrible and dont have safety arms. The hole spacing in the power racks are too big, so the bar height is too high/low.
    • Proper tight arch means you need a handoff from someone, which i find annoying to ask and i wouldnt really trust anyone at my gym to do it right.
    • Retracted scapula during the whole lift is just not functionnal/natural, you'd never throw a punch with your scapula retracted at full extension.

I have less of an issue with the press cause the scapula can move freely but still :
    • Head is in the way so you have to do the weird back and forth with the hip thrust.
    • Neck can get strained easily at high intensity when you try to finish the lift with the wrong muscles.

Am i wrong to wanna back off the press/bench and just stick to other exercises like moderate intensity dumbbell/cable work?

Those don’t seem too heavy at your weight.

On my current program I’ve dropped the bench press but I continue pressing, which btw is a great lift for your core (along with squat and DL).

Personally, I think you should aim for at least bodyweight press.

Frankly, none of these are really good excuses.

If you don’t want to train, then don’t.

What would you do instead, and why would that be a good substitute for bench and press?

Regarding your issues, they are all about your choice, because if you choose to do the lifts, you will find a way to resolve them. I am curious why bench and scapular positioning is being related to punching, though. You may not punch with your scapula pulled back, but you bench that way because it is most effective. So do it because it's good for bench, not for punching.

Quote Originally Posted by Satch12879 View Post
    Frankly, none of these are really good excuses.

If you don’t want to train, then don’t.
    Quote Originally Posted by abg View Post
    What would you do instead, and why would that be a good substitute for bench and press?

Regarding your issues, they are all about your choice, because if you choose to do the lifts, you will find a way to resolve them. I am curious why bench and scapular positioning is being related to punching, though. You may not punch with your scapula pulled back, but you bench that way because it is most effective. So do it because it's good for bench, not for punching.
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliax View Post
    I have less of an issue with the press cause the scapula can move freely but still :
    • Head is in the way so you have to do the weird back and forth with the hip thrust.
    • Neck can get strained easily at high intensity when you try to finish the lift with the wrong muscles.

Am i wrong to wanna back off the press/bench and just stick to other exercises like moderate intensity dumbbell/cable work?

Regarding your issues, they are all about your choice, because if you choose to do the lifts, you will find a way to resolve them. I am curious why bench and scapular positioning is being related to punching, though. You may not punch with your scapula pulled back, but you bench that way because it is most effective. So do it because it's good for bench, not for punching.[/QUOTE]

Satch and abg, good points

OP, I understand your safety concerns for the bench press. However, for decades there have been many strong men and women who got strong using less than ideal conditions. It's because they wanted "it" enough. If you want "it" enough you will find a way. Find a good gym, good lifting partners, and a coach if possible. When in doubt, don't go for the extra rep on the bench or that iffy PR. There are a number of forum members who have eliminated the bench and just focus on the press.

The back and forth with the hips isn't "weird". You just don't understand it and it is unfamiliar to you.
    If you have strained a neck muscle while pressing it is likely due to the bar moving to far in front of you as you press.
    The point here is you need coaching in this lift before you decide to exclude it. Don't make the mistake of thinking it's the lift that's wrong and not the lifter.
    Scott Acosta, SSC, Westside Barbell Coach, USAPL Coach, Nice Guy
    essentialbarbell@yahoo.com
    For the love of God, just do the fucking program

I would try to stick with the bench and press if you can. Honestly, trying to hoist up 150# dumbbells (which was the max at my old gym) is way more of a pain in the ass than just benching. I get that there can be issues with some of the crappy gym equipment, but there are ways around it.

- Improper rack height on power rack for bench. This one is easy. I know the rack you are using probably has 2" spaces or more between the holes. That sucks for bench. Any good rack is 1" holes. But what you can do it put 10# plates under the bench to get you a little higher. I think I used thinner 25# plates once so I could unrack the weight well at a YMCA with those hammer strength racks.

- Take a hand off. It isn't so bad to ask for one. :-)

- Not a normal/functional movement. Does it really matter? The idea is to get bigger chest and shoulder muscles. You can spend time training for whatever functional activity you want after weight training.

- Head in the way for OHP. Move your head back and lean back a little You don't need to do hip thrust to get your head out of the way.

- Neck Strains. I've never experienced this, and yes I f*cked myself up while lifting. :-) Maybe get your form checked out.

Try and stick with it to see how things go. Most people are also into lifting for a bit of aesthetics. Having a big chest/shoulders looks good. Throw some curls in there, and you will be golden!

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think i'll just keep the press and come back to the bench some other time. I watched the USSF meet this weekend and watching everyone do the press made me wanna try harder. I picked up some pointers while doing so. I noticed that a lot of people put the bar higher than I'm used to. Just below a very slighlty elevated chin which obviously cut the range of motion a little bit. I tried it yesterday at the gym and it went great. It seems to help with the straight bar path. When i go lower, my elbows rock backward a little bit and the bar starts to wobble in my palms.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Oliax View Post
    Thanks everyone for the feedback. I think i'll just keep the press and come back to the bench some other time. I watched the USSF meet this weekend and watching everyone do the press made me wanna try harder. I picked up some pointers while doing so. I noticed that a lot of people put the bar higher than I'm used to. Just below a very slighlty elevated chin which obviously cut the range of motion a little bit. I tried it yesterday at the gym and it went great. It seems to help with the straight bar path. When i go lower, my elbows rock backward a little bit and the bar starts to wobble in my palms.
    Well I guess that's a start.
    Refer to the blue book and the many videos on the Press. Dropping the elbows can cause your wrists extend, which causes the bar to roll into the transverse crease of the hand because you'll naturally want to keep the load close to you. It's a case of robbing Peter to pay Paul. Setting the hands properly goes a long way to prevent this. During the set it's helpful to squeeze your chest up prior to each rep. This aids in keeping the elbows from dropping.
    Scott Acosta, SSC, Westside Barbell Coach, USAPL Coach, Nice Guy
    essentialbarbell@yahoo.com
    For the love of God, just do the fucking program