starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Barbells for Runners?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by jeb455 View Post
    And to the poster immediately preceding (Mr. Garza) — if you know of people over 200 lbs, who can at least total 1,000 on any given day (I.e., with just a simple warmup and without psyching themselves up) ... AND who can run 26.2 in 4 or less ... maybe don’t post a link, but do tell how to google this because I would love to know what their program looks like.
    Sounds like you need to look up some stats on the Clydesdales. Clydesdale (over 200lbs) distance records?

Portland, OR and other venues had (have?) Clydesdale marathons.

Just google Alex Viada.

Has run Ultras while deadlifting 600 plus (I think 700, but don't remember off hand).

Has trained others to run Ultras while also maintaining moderate strength levels.

Quote Originally Posted by hector_garza View Post
    Just google Alex Viada.

Has run Ultras while deadlifting 600 plus (I think 700, but don't remember off hand).

Has trained others to run Ultras while also maintaining moderate strength levels.
    He has written a book about how to do exactly this.

What seems most likely is that people have a lot of their personality wrapped up in "an identity". Like high school cliques. One of the reasons these endurance sports are so popular among the white, college educated, swpl, c-suite, white collar set is because they are popular among the white, college educated, swpl, c-suite, white collar set; its more than just a hobby, its an identity; its who they are. And who they are NOT. And (as Rip has so eloquently said) Powerlifting (and by extension all barbell sports/activiites) are a white trash endeavor. Therefore, to these endurance asshats, barbells, well, "were just not that kind of people."

Also, notwithstanding ridiculous outliers like Alex Viada, good endurance athletes don't really squat bench and deadlift to get better. Its sort of the same reason why I do as little cardio/conditioning work/prowler work as possible - because it doesnt really have a lot of direct carry over to my SBD and total. So, even though I intellectually understand that doing a little conditioning work might help me train longer and be better prepared for a long meet day, its the last thing on my list. For these endurance clowns, barbell strength is the last thing on their list AND its not "who we are."

Certainly there is a social aspect to this. Our friends, families, co-workers, and doctors tend to give us a very favorable response if we report to have gone on a run and/or lost some weight. "That's great!!! I need to start running too, so I can drop a few pounds!!! Congrats!!!! Keep it up!!"

Tell them you just deadlifted 500 lbs in a meet "oooh, aren't you afraid you are gonna hurt your back???"

Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    Certainly there is a social aspect to this. Our friends, families, co-workers, and doctors tend to give us a very favorable response if we report to have gone on a run and/or lost some weight. "That's great!!! I need to start running too, so I can drop a few pounds!!! Congrats!!!! Keep it up!!"

Tell them you just deadlifted 500 lbs in a meet "oooh, aren't you afraid you are gonna hurt your back???"
    Agreed. We all need to cut these toxic pieces of weak shit from our lives.

Typical conversation:

them: i want to be fit

me: recommend progressive barbell strength training start by reading the blue book

them: no i just want to get in shape maybe i'll start jogging

me: uh-huh

Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Typical conversation:

me: recommend progressive barbell strength training start by reading the blue book

Don't forget "working on the core". People who want to get in shape love this "core" thing.

Perhaps some of the condescension in this thread is the reason people shun lifting weights as a main mod of getting in shape?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by wiigelec View Post
    Typical conversation:

Jogging is much better than nothing. Not everyone wants to lift.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast