starting strength gym
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Barbells for Runners?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It’s been frustrating for me trying to get my family and friends to buy into all of this. So-and-so can do a bunch of pull-ups, so why should he do deadlifts? So-and-so tried weight training once with dumbbells and an exercise video and it just made them really tired. Everyone just wants to lose a little weight and get toned, so why should they try to be as strong as they can? If Mr. X only cares about having big arms, why should he squat? Mr. Y just doesn’t have the correct body type to lift. Cardio is better for heart health, anyway. Walking is technically resistance exercise, and so-and-so does a lot of walking. That’s what the doctor advised, anyway.

A lot of the people I know are from the kinds of circles Andy described as “Brick. Wall.” Their ideas about fitness are wrapped up in a bunch of other beliefs including that your level of morality comports with how vegetarian you are, medical science from elite universities and the government holds the key wisdom of good health, the body in the modern world has lost its functional virtue and is purely aesthetic, and that modern men should be lean and “athletic” and not interested in old-fashioned masculine characteristics like strength - not to mention modern women. It’s a totally different worldview and even though no one objects when I say it is better to be strong than weak, protein consumption gets more important as we get older, and strength training has reduced my resting heart rate from the high to the low end of normal, none of it seems to stick.

What has been effective, on the other hand, is occasionally linking my girlfriend’s trainer (a mutual friend) to articles from this website. Through that he bought and read the blue book and Practical Programming and has improved his own strength tremendously. However, he’s also wicked smart and thoroughly researches everything. Depressingly, it seems our fitness culture can only get as smart as our personal trainers.

By definition, most people are of average intelligence. Do not expect too much of them.

Quote Originally Posted by andyP View Post
    I found this clip of Tyson Fury deadlifting.
    Here is one of him benching.
    Great. now my eyes have AIDS. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    Great. now my eyes have AIDS. Thanks
    Haha, that was gold. At least he’s doing it. You wouldn’t believe the nonsense people believe in the fighting community about muscles making you slow and tight, weighing you down and creating friction with your arms. This is an incredibly common perception. Well here’s a top heavyweight deadlifting well over 500 pounds. Hopefully that will help wake people up.

All in all, I'm just a, another BRICK IN THE WALL -Alice Cooper
    I raced triathlons for 12 years, and spent another three rehabbing thinking I'd do another. I was "constantly" injured. OCD Nirvana... you could "train around" injuries, much of the time. I even attempted to "train around" over training.

I stayed the course... which inevitability led to using a cane, buying a walker, and being such a mess, that the crazy subsided.

What a price for clarity. I felt good when training (LSD) and was convinced this was "good for me". Evidence to the contrary needed to be overwhelming and persistent for me to consider the aweful possibility that I was wrong.

I suppose if I had "known" a SS lifter, that might have made a difference.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Baker (KSC) View Post
    It's an affluent suburb and as you might imagine, these sports are very popular here.
    Relevant: Nassim Nicholas Taleb on Twitter: "At gym:
    Asked weightlifters in basement if they voted Trump. 9 voted Trump, 1 Johnson.
    Upstairs, bourgeois floor (machines), 10/10 Hillary."

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345