starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: non- SSOC online training options

Default non- SSOC online training options

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I wanted to know if there are any SSC-staffed outfits out there that offer less complete online coaching packages than SSOC, without a contract. If so, can you refer them?

I know of andybaker.com, but that seems to be more a programming service - my issues aren't programming, they are technique.

Optimally, I would like an SSC to look at my lifts and provide feedback, similar to the form checks here, but more-in depth, with the ability to follow-up when working on an issue, and without the guilt of me feeling like I'm trying to cheat/abuse the system for free coaching/form checks (I actually want to pay). It wouldn't necessarily have to be on every lift and could be on an as-needed or per-use basis, so some other payment scheme that uses my happiness/satisfaction as a reason for me coming back rather than a long-term contract.

My basic problem with SSOC is that I don't have a lot of luck learning from text and video, so I'm not confident that form checks, even if done well and completely will work for me. I'm unwilling to sign up for SSOC because if I can't learn that way, I'll figure that out quickly, but I'll be on the hook for a 3-6 month contract. I have a good sense of how slowly I improve form on my own, and I would expect help to speed that up significantly, and if it doesn't, I need to be able to stop paying.

-->Adam

Have you made it through LP yet? Is it possible you’re overthinking things regarding your form?

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Upchurch View Post
    Have you made it through LP yet? Is it possible you’re overthinking things regarding your form?
    No - I'm on week 5 of NLP and my form is indeed terrible on all lifts (except maybe chins and bench). Rip concurs and has generously taken the time to remind me of this on this forum, frequently. He's worried I'll end up in the hospital. He may be right, but I'm stubborn, haven't listened and I'm continuing to progress. No NLP lifts have stalled yet, and I have really good health insurance and disability coverage.

Age 47
    Weight: 179lb
    Deadlift: 260x5
    Chins: 189.55x5 (including bodyweight)
    Squat: 170x5
    Bench: 152.5x5
    Press: 90x5

-->Adam

You can likely find a decent trainer/coach in your area with a little digging. A SSC or SSOC would obviously be best but if you aren’t able to go that way it’s not the end of the world. It might make it harder to find someone that places the same value on the things you’re looking for, but it’s not impossible. I’m pretty sure SS doesn’t have a patent on the lowbar squat, I’ve met people out there doing fine squats that have yet to hear of SS. I’m also pretty sure there’s an article somewhere on here about finding a good coach (I.e. questions to ask, what to look for, etc). Just look a few in your area up, telling them what you’re looking for and see what they say. Tell them point blank you want to barbell train on this program, if they aren’t up to help you then find a different one. If you’re in a city of even moderate size you can find SOMEONE that should be able to help you with the basics.

Rip said in another thread that you need a coach with you every session. It seems like you’re not going for that, so what about a really good training partner? Someone who can shout at you while you move the bar and then give you grief about your form between sets? You could do online and occasional on-site coaching, get suggested cues from your coach, and then transmute them into real-time reminders during your sessions. It’s not a perfect solution, but it could work.

Good advice.

I've sought a local coach/trainer, and perhaps even found one. Even with that, my frequency still couldn't be every session, but I could manage once a week. My schedule is very tight and the only way I get 3x/week in is to work out at 5AM before the kids wake up. If I add 20 minutes travel time to that, I'm screwed and basically can't train at all. My current gym is 3 minutes away.

So, that leaves me a choice - to either see Coach Inman once a month (my current plan), or a local non-SSC trainer who knows the SS model once a week. I'm not sure which would have more value, a non-SSC 1x/week, or an SSC 1x/month, but decided to go with Coach Inman because I found her first.

As for a workout buddy - not really possible at my gym. It's a boxing gym with cardio-boxing classes, and I'm pretty much the only guy usuing the barbell (and blowing off the cardio-boxing classes that I pay for). Everyone there pretty much thinks I'm nuts and doing everything wrong (that's a theme).

Non-SSC trainers willing to work with the SS model are hard to find. I've talked to several, most with the CSCS credential. They have a totally different, and very indirect way of teaching the lifts, and refuse to let me low-bar squat until I've graduated their "progression". Basically, if you can't brace your core, do goodmornings, if you cant keep your back right, do rows, and don't squat until you can do all this stuff. If I go that road, it'll be months before I even get started.

-->Adam

Can you train in your garage? If I remember correctly, the boxing gym doesn’t have the best set-up for strength training, anyway.

Sorry if this has been asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Y View Post
    Can you train in your garage? If I remember correctly, the boxing gym doesn’t have the best set-up for strength training, anyway.

Sorry if this has been asked.
    If I bought a rig, yes, and I've thought about it, but it doesn't solve the basic problem or change anything. With the gym 3 minutes away, it's just so dang convenient, I don't see a reason to build my own rig.

-->Adam

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    Non-SSC trainers willing to work with the SS model are hard to find.
    I think this is unnecessarily restrictive; we are talking about squat and deadlifts, not patented complex procedures.
    If you really want a coach, you just need someone who can teach you how to squat below parallel, and I'm sure there are some people out there, who can do that even if they are not SS-certified (which would admittedly be the best - albeit most expensive - option).

Keep going, you'll get there in the end.

IPB

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Levine View Post
    I wanted to know if there are any SSC-staffed outfits out there that offer less complete online coaching packages than SSOC, without a contract. If so, can you refer them?

I know of andybaker.com, but that seems to be more a programming service - my issues aren't programming, they are technique.

Optimally, I would like an SSC to look at my lifts and provide feedback, similar to the form checks here, but more-in depth, with the ability to follow-up when working on an issue, and without the guilt of me feeling like I'm trying to cheat/abuse the system for free coaching/form checks (I actually want to pay). It wouldn't necessarily have to be on every lift and could be on an as-needed or per-use basis, so some other payment scheme that uses my happiness/satisfaction as a reason for me coming back rather than a long-term contract.

My basic problem with SSOC is that I don't have a lot of luck learning from text and video, so I'm not confident that form checks, even if done well and completely will work for me. I'm unwilling to sign up for SSOC because if I can't learn that way, I'll figure that out quickly, but I'll be on the hook for a 3-6 month contract. I have a good sense of how slowly I improve form on my own, and I would expect help to speed that up significantly, and if it doesn't, I need to be able to stop paying.

-->Adam
    Have you thought about seeing an SSC in person just once?
    Like pay them for a 2 hour session to see if they can straighten out your squat?
    Online money might better off being thrown at that in person thing.

I think you were in Illinois, and there's a couple of SSC's about 2 hours away?
    So maybe two Saturday sessions in a row? (and you try to lift on your own once in the middle of the week; video those sets for coach review)

Might be worth it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast