starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why you shouldn't Power Clean?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In the ED, we'd have people come in with a headache that, at least on paper, needed to be scanned and then tapped (spinal tap). In some cases, you knew it was bullshit or even malingering, and in others you strongly suspected badness. It was easy to observe a differential approach to these people after the negative CT scan.

In those whom you suspected an actual sinister occult process, you almost wouldn't take no for an answer. "It's a routine procedure, it'll be over with like that, it's very safe, and you really need it. We're going to set it up right now."

In the bullshit cases it was like "yeah, now we'd like to take a big honkin' needle about yay long and jab it in your back to suck out the brain juice. How 'bout it? What's that you say? No fuckin' way? Okay, your call."

I strongly suspect the % of people observed to actually want to train the power clean is in no way a completely independent variable, and is strongly affected by the % of coaches who don't want to coach the power clean.

Just speculatin' about a hypothesis here.

Then there's guys like me, who on the one hand, want to be a coach eventually, which means eventually coaching the clean ...

While on the other hand, clean so badly that, when I finally executed a good one, Brent Carter fist-pumped in shocked glee at his coaching acumen when he finally found a set of cues that worked for the doofus on the barbell.

I may have to hire a coach just to run me through the PC teaching progression like ... weekly.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathon Sullivan View Post
    I strongly suspect the % of people observed to actually want to train the power clean is in no way a completely independent variable, and is strongly affected by the % of coaches who don't want to coach the power clean.

Just speculatin' about a hypothesis here.
    You may indeed be right Sullydawg. However, I LOVE coaching the clean. I find it interesting and enjoyable. I actually get excited when someone comes to me wanting to clean (except in one case of an early 60's motor moron who had no business doing it and refused to accept that, just like he refused to accept that he could only squat 115 or so to proper depth, because he had done something like 275 by unlocking and then relocking his knees and called it a squat, and who I saw squatting about 10 inches above parallel with 225 shortly after he stopped seeing me, but I digress...), and getting someone to a decent clean is very satisfying to me as a coach. I actually had a lifter I was taking through LP last year who moved well enough that I had him DL Monday, Snatch on Weds, and Clean on Fridays and he crushed it. That was one of my favorite LPs. I accept your hypothesis as a possibility, but is not the driving factor behind any of my own 'data.'

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Bischoff View Post
    Then there's guys like me, who on the one hand, want to be a coach eventually, which means eventually coaching the clean ...

While on the other hand, clean so badly that, when I finally executed a good one, Brent Carter fist-pumped in shocked glee at his coaching acumen when he finally found a set of cues that worked for the doofus on the barbell.

I may have to hire a coach just to run me through the PC teaching progression like ... weekly.
    Ha! I'm in the same boat over here Geoff.

On Karl's platform in Chicago, I was chosen for the demo go-around because I was the least "wombat"-ish of all of us 6 ft+ guys. When Nick Delgadillo coached my set, he said, "Have you ever jumped before?"

Stefan - post videos to our Coaching Academy group. We're going to do a video break down this week. You can clean - don't let the age argument dissuade you. Just yesterday I power snatched and am 40 years old. I am not a freak athlete; actually quite average by measures of genetic ability. Since your ultimate goal is to become a coach, I suggest the priority for you is as much practicing the lift to develop your Coaching Eye as it is about contributing to your strength training. As we discussed after watching Dr. Bradford's video, you need to do the movement so that you can "see" it in your lifters. You'll be a better lifter, better coach, and eventually the weight will be sufficient to contribute to your training stress.
    Last edited by Andrew Jackson; 02-02-2019 at 04:29 PM. Reason: grammatical correction

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for the support coach. I was mostly commiserating with Geoff for feeling especially unexceptional at the clean. I took Coach Delgadillo's comment as a challenge and in fact have been power cleaning every Wednesday since the seminar in July.

I will certainly post another clean video to the academy group (Sean suggested a wider stance and, wait for it, a harder jump). There are also a few videos on my training journal (with pandering music!) if anyone else cares to evaluate the jump-less clean of yours truly.

Yours, truly,
    Stefan

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12