starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick

Default Sick

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Coming down with a head and chest cold. I have a mild fever of 99.6. Should I work out or not?
    Last edited by David Sanders; 02-09-2019 at 11:06 AM. Reason: Adding info

Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    Coming down with a head and chest cold. I have a mild fever of 99.6. Should I work out or not?
    Train. It will probably help you feel better. Stop if you start feeling a lot worse.

Ok...Gonna give it a shot. Im going to maintain the intensity and lower the volume.

Training might help you feel better temporarily, but if you're just getting the symptoms and have a fever, you're in the contagious phase, so you'll probably be infecting others at the gym. Best to rest as much as possible and stay isolated. Your body has a finite amount of energy and it's better spent resting and fighting the sickness than recovering from workout.

Yeah...I workout in my garage but this has knocked me out. Fever, chills, bodyaches....ughhh...I was just getting consistent.

Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    Yeah...I workout in my garage but this has knocked me out. Fever, chills, bodyaches....ughhh...I was just getting consistent.
    Somewhere in time on this board I thought I saw someone say that you can/should lift if you have cold symptoms, but not flu. Yours sound more flu-like, systemic.

Be careful viral myocarditis is a possbility.

Viral Myocarditis: How a Virus Can Affect Your Heart - HealthXchange

I’d train if your fever is under 100 and you can avoid getting others sick. If you’re in a garage, that shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re going to some kind of commercial gym, I wouldn’t show up if you’re coughing and sneezing; it’s just not polite, and you’ll interfere with other people’s training.

I always find when I train with a fever that the session itself isn’t the problem, it’s the recovery the next day. Also, I tend to do a lot better with movements that don’t require as much balance (e.g. pressing for more than two reps is the worst).

You will probably learn something interesting and useful about yourself and your training if you manage to get under the bar.

Positive for flu fever spiked at 102.1. I'm down for the count.

starting strength coach development program
    Rest up and feel better David! I'm down with a respiratory infection too. I hate missing days at the gym...I'm at 295 lbs on my deadlift, want to break 300 so bad, but this gonna set me back a little. Oh well, 2 steps forward and 1 step back sometimes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast