starting strength gym

Thread: bench press--stay at weight or back off?

Default bench press--stay at weight or back off?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm trying to strengthen my bench press. I've been doing 5x5 once every five to six days, with other exercises in between, like dips and press.
    I started with an easy 170lbs, and added 10lbs each session and got all reps of all sets.
    The last session was at 220. The reps weren't good quality and I didn't get all of them.
    Should I stay at 220, or should I back off to a lighter weight and try to work up to it again?

I have the book at home--but not with me now.

The programming you described isn't found anywhere in the blue book or ppst. If it is then can you post what page it's on?

Quote Originally Posted by twoton View Post
    I'm trying to strengthen my bench press. I've been doing 5x5 once every five to six days, with other exercises in between, like dips and press.
    I started with an easy 170lbs, and added 10lbs each session and got all reps of all sets.
    The last session was at 220. The reps weren't good quality and I didn't get all of them.
    Should I stay at 220, or should I back off to a lighter weight and try to work up to it again?
    Hard to answer without your training history, age, weight, etc. Have you done a linear progression program before? Is there a reason you're doing 5 sets as opposed to 3?

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    Hard to answer without your training history, age, weight, etc. Have you done a linear progression program before? Is there a reason you're doing 5 sets as opposed to 3?
    Well, I kind of thought, based on what I'd read in SS and on pretty nearly everywhere else, that strength is built in sets of five reps. Maybe it's not. That's why I'm asking.

As for the rest---today is my 52nd birthday. I weigh 195 lbs, give or take, and 6'2". I've been exercising with weights since I was 18, but never had any real coaching. What I know is what' I've picked up from the web and SS. I use the equipment that's available when it's available.

In the end, it might come down to, "You're Not Following The Program," which I'll live with if I have to. I'd like to get strong while I still can.

Over the past few years, my deadlift had gotten to 430lbs and my squat to 275lbs. I don't really want to move past those without having someone watch me.

Fahves (5s) are what you should be doing for reps but I was more curious about the 5 sets since around here that's a sign of intermediate lifters. Not saying necessarily you shouldn't be doing 5 sets, but it depends on your recent training (as in the past few months). If you haven't been following the program or are coming off a layoff, you'd probably be better off doing a novice linear progression program (standard Starting Strength methodology) which involves doing 3 sets of 5 and adding weight every workout (rather than 5 sets of 5 which comes into play in intermediate lifting programming). And "novice" isn't a bad thing to be labelled with here, it just means you can take some very easy gains in a relatively short amount of time. Not basing this on anything other than what I would do but I'd reset that all by 10% and try to run 3x5 with adding 5 lbs every workout instead of 10 lbs until you get to the point that you don't progress anymore. Also, how often are you benching? Just curious since you said you're focusing more on bench, and if you were trying to do 5x5 even twice a week I would wonder if your body has the ability to recover and adapt in time for the next session.

As to the deadlift and squats, you can get pretty good feedback on your technique online here (either in the Technique section or the SSC section - you just need to become verified).

And Happy Birthday!

Just adding on to Justin's comment:

Starting Strength Training Programs

For the press, bench press, and power clean, you may get one 10 lb jump, but you may need to start with 5 lb jumps. Later on, you’ll move to 2.5 lb or smaller jumps for these lifts when 5 lbs becomes too much to add every workout. The pattern is similar for females and older lifters, but with smaller increases. Program modifications for older novices are discussed extensively in The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40.

Quote Originally Posted by twoton View Post
    In the end, it might come down to, "You're Not Following The Program," which I'll live with if I have to. I'd like to get strong while I still can.
    It will, because you're not doing the program.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Smale View Post
    I'd reset that all by 10% and try to run 3x5 with adding 5 lbs every workout instead of 10 lbs until you get to the point that you don't progress anymore. Also, how often are you benching?

And Happy Birthday!
    Got it. For example, if I bench on a Monday, I'll probably bench again on Friday. Or Tuesday to the next Monday.
    And thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaimi Kuenzli View Post
    Just adding on to Justin's comment:

Starting Strength Training Programs

For the press, bench press, and power clean, you may get one 10 lb jump, but you may need to start with 5 lb jumps. Later on, you’ll move to 2.5 lb or smaller jumps for these lifts when 5 lbs becomes too much to add every workout. The pattern is similar for females and older lifters, but with smaller increases. Program modifications for older novices are discussed extensively in The Barbell Prescription: Strength Training for Life After 40.
    Thanks. In other words, I need to redirect some of my energy away from the lifting of heavy things and and into following a program. I guess I don't know as much as I thought I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    It will, because you're not doing the program.
    This notion of getting stronger is turning out like something that requires effort. Who knew?
    Before I bought SS I wanted to borrow it from the library. It came through inter-library loan from the public library in Wichita Falls, TX. And yes, I returned it on time. I was afraid not to.