starting strength gym

Thread: total volume of chins

Default total volume of chins

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    As I lean out, chins are now back on the table. I like to do chinup ladders, which are sets of 1, 2, then 4 (with c. 2 mins in between) then I start over with 1. This lets me get a lot of volume in. For a single, max set about the most I can do is a set of 6, then I'm fried, which is why I do these ladders.

My question is: in a workout, how many total chins should I aim for using this approach? I did a total of 35 the other day and feel pretty wasted.

I do weigh 270 pounds, so there's that.

It will probably depend on body weight to strength ratio. I'm about 240 and was pumped that I got 78 in my last workout but reading your post I would be pumped to get 35 with 35lb added. Good job man.

Quote Originally Posted by FatButWeak View Post
    As I lean out, chins are now back on the table.
    You'll need to change your username my friend.

Y'all reckon 50 is a decent volume? I know Rip hates to get into the weeds on Chin details.

Start hitting 50, for total volume, then start working up to like ten sets of 5, if possible? Then add weight hanging off a belt? Is fahves a good rep scheme for chins? Or should we be aiming higher. My goals are pretty much hypertrophy and shoulder/elbow/wrist health and strength.

50 reps for one workout if 6 reps is the most you can do seems like way to much to me.

Take your 6 rep max of any lift and think about doing 5 sets of ten with it.

Quote Originally Posted by DoinFives View Post
    50 reps for one workout if 6 reps is the most you can do seems like way to much to me.

Take your 6 rep max of any lift and think about doing 5 sets of ten with it.
    Yeah. No, I meant working up to it. In other words, keep doing my ladders (1,2,4) until I can hit a total volume of 50, then start manipulating the sets and reps (1,3,5 for example) until I can do multiple sets of 5 reps. Would shooting for ten sets of 5 reps make sense, or should I up the reps and lower the sets? For example, change the ladders to 1,3,6, and working up to 50? How have people done this? Program sets and reps and volume?

Tbh innever read this, but should. I often see it referenced when somebody asks about chinup progression/programming.

Hahaha i forgot the link

Training the Chin-Up | Niki Sims

Blue book talks about it....so does practical programming...

starting strength coach development program
    Ill consult my books.. Nikki recommends band bullshit, which I cannot get behind. Bands are annoying. But she also says once you can do 2 sets of ten at bodyweight, you can start adding weight, which I do agree with. Thanks, guys.