starting strength gym

Thread: Is heavy breathing normal or something that goes away with time and experience?

Default Is heavy breathing normal or something that goes away with time and experience?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello. When I do some lifts, in particular squats and DLs, I tend to breathe quite heavy during the reps. It's not a shortness of breath thing, but just a heavy exertion breathing. In fact, someone pointed out to me in a video of 5 of my squats, it took me 1:30 to complete because I was pausing and panting between the reps.

I run five miles per day on the weekends at a respectable clip, so I don't think there is a medical issue with me. I know, I know...running is the worst thing in the world for people to do, it hurts your lifts, better to have strong muscles than a strong heart, etc., etc. FYI--I passed my echo stress test last year with flying colors.

In watching other people's videos, I really never see anyone breathing heavy. I watch people on this forum, as well as famous youtube lifters, like Alan Thrall, and they never seem to be out of breath (as an aside, Clyde is a clean cut, nearly middle aged, straight-laced tax lawyer, and other than the fact that Thrall's videos are well done, I also think I have man envy over his long beard and flowing locks).

Question-- does anyone huff and puff while they are doing their reps, so much so that they pause between? Or is it common? Or should I just power through the set and leave the heavy breathing for my rest period between sets?

Thanks and I appreciate in advance the comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Question-- does anyone huff and puff while they are doing their reps, so much so that they pause between? Or is it common? Or should I just power through the set and leave the heavy breathing for my rest period between sets?
    I question my existence during the last 2-3 reps of sets across for 8 snatch grip dead lifting, so I share your pain in this sense yes.

Clyde, come on. Pretty sure your most recent started threads are "Is dumping a loaded barbell off my back safe?", "Do people actually use microplates?", and "Do people breathe heavily while doing hard stuff?"

To preempt your next questions: Yes, the sky is up, and water is indeed wet.

Breathing hard is normal. Taking 1:30 for a set of five is not. Notice that no matter how much you huff and puff you never feel recovered between reps... that's because you are holding a heavy weight on your back and getting more tired the longer you hold it. Pick a number of breaths (1,2,3 doesn't matter what you pick) and stick to that as a max number before you start your next rep. Faster sets are easier sets even if your brain is yelling the opposite at you.

Quote Originally Posted by A Schenck View Post
    Breathing hard is normal. Taking 1:30 for a set of five is not. Notice that no matter how much you huff and puff you never feel recovered between reps... that's because you are holding a heavy weight on your back and getting more tired the longer you hold it. Pick a number of breaths (1,2,3 doesn't matter what you pick) and stick to that as a max number before you start your next rep. Faster sets are easier sets even if your brain is yelling the opposite at you.
    The type of constructive commentary I was looking for. Thanks.

I'm with Dillon.

This reminded me of the famous heart rate question.

Ask Rip #43: YouTube

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Clyde View Post
    Yes it's common for me and got more so when I started wearing a belt. For me, when I get to the idle position I blow out all the air and suck in a new lung full. If I'm procrastinating then I repeat that a few times. I think multiple breaths for me between reps are purely procrastinating. I'm 57 and a good set of squats drives my heart rate up into the 140s, so my respiration is going to increase. I also get this same response when dead lifting. My coach has me doing a PR set and then two back off sets for a total of three and yes I'm sucking a lot of air when I get that done.

The reason you don't see Thrall breathing heavy is that he's not setting a new PR for reps in the video. You and I are doing that every time we squat or deadlift!

Bernie