starting strength gym

Thread: FitBit and Novice Progression

Default FitBit and Novice Progression

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Everyone:

Does anyone use a FitBit (or something similar) to track your steps? And if so, did you notice any detriment (recovery issues) if you maintained the 10,000 step goal when you ran the traditional Novice Program by the book?

Thanks in advance.

Yes. I use a Fitbit 24/7 to track everything I do, waking and sleeping.

And no, 10,000 steps does not seem to detract from my recovery. Even at the venerable age of 68. This is coupled with a nearly 40 lb. weight loss since May of 2018.

You probably have nothing to worry about. During NLP, "Active Rest" isn't harmful, and is even encouraged by many coaches.

The rules of active rest as I understand them:
    1) If it feels like exercise, it isn't active rest. You shouldn't get winded or sore from the activity at all.
    2) It has to be something you are accustomed/adapted to - not a new/novel activity. For almost all of us, walking qualifies.
    3) You should be well-adapted to the activity. Basically, it doesn't cause a training stress, because you are adapted to it already. No stress = no need to recover. No recovery = no conflict with lifting recovery.

-->Adam

I will say from experience that 25000 steps multiple days a week on little sleep will not kill your LP, but will definitely shorten it. So 10,000 should be fine.