starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those who participate in combat sports

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Thanks guys for your replies, indeed that’s the case in that school.

Around 75% of sparring partners quit either because of this stupid - hardcore my ass - mentality or because of injuries here and there, I also got hurt many times. I am injured currently. You cannot be doing non stop burpees and pushups for 30 minutes and then expect to rock n roll. Imagine there were times we got slapped in the face or punched in the stomach etc. as a form of forcing us to perform.

Hell no, we have kids at home longing for our hug, cannot waste quality time for that shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicky85 View Post
    Imagine there were times we got slapped in the face or punched in the stomach etc. as a form of forcing us to perform.
    Heh. Old school Japanese or Korean methods. One Sensei used a shinai to whack students on the butt for motivational purposes. The bamboo would open a little on contact, and then close again, resulting in painful skin pinches that persisted long after the sting of the initial kinetic contact faded. Not one of my teachers, thankfully. Our Judo team was visiting another Dojo and we witnessed it. We never went back. Our black belts also pulled the Sensei aside at the outset and told him no shinai use on our team.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoran View Post
    I agree completely with this. Train somewhere you are being COACHED, not merely instructed.
    I'm not challenging you here, but I am interested in the distinction you draw between coached and instructed. I suspect we will agree, but I would like to hear what your thinking on this is based upon.

A coach will guide you through the process. If you make an error a coach will provide feedback and how to correct it. An instructor who is not also a coach will merely tell the student what to do and expect it done.

starting strength coach development program
    Gotcha! And exactly right. A number of my Karate teachers were like that. Sadly, all but a few of my Judo teachers were the same. I had the great good fortune of lucking into a teacher and dojo in Jujitsu where none of the teaching was like that. I do the best I can to coach in the same manner. Sometimes I have to have the techniques performed on me to spot the fixable flaws. Simply observing does not always reveal what needs fixing in complex techniques with multi-directional moving parts. Especially where joint locks and some strangles are concerned.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12