starting strength gym

Thread: Setting Goals

Default Setting Goals

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I know the importance of setting goals. I also know that strength standards are relative to the individual for a variety of reasons. My question is how does one go about setting goals for attaining a certain level of strength given their age, health, and injury history that may limit current training?

Short
    Medium
    Long

For instance: For short term-next session add 5lbs/0.5lb/extra rep/extra set.
    Once through NLP then you know roughly where you are and can then begin to set pretty accurate medium goals like 'reach 180lb Bench 3x5 by April'.
    Long term are wider. It might be to compete in 12 months, hit a 1RM, or an aggressive improvement on all lifts.

When I first started lifting I had lofty short term goals and expectations. I have some fun lifetime goals. But I only have one real goal - show and do the work.

If still a Novice, completing the NLP and being generally strong should be the short term goal.

After that a lot will be based on what you want you want out of your training. Do you plan on continuing in building general strength? Do you plan on building competitive strength and in which competitive sport?

The earlier in your training history you are, the harder it will be to set proper goals in terms of timeframes to hit a certain amount of weight on the bar. Having an experienced coach will definitely help with your goal setting early in your training.

All that being said, setting a goal and missing will progress you more than not setting goals, so if you don't have a coach, don't let that stop you. Just learn, reload, and re-aim. Each time you'll get better, not only at the lifts, but also in seeing appropriate goals and timeframes.

For a possible end point goal to shoot for, look at the top placers in your weight class and age group who powerlift unequipped. Then find smaller increments between where you are now and the top poundages you are looking to attain.

You won't have enough experience to predict what you are capable of until after you have reached a particular strength level or a program has stopped producing results for you. This is were a coach who has worked with tons of lifters can be helpful.
    Consider setting process goals instead of performance goals ("train 3x/week for 90 days with no missed sessions" is more in your control than "Squat 500 by December")

Thank you all for the input. It is greatly appreciated and I particularly like the 3xweek for 90 days with no missed sessions! Now, let me get more specific. Severely responses mentioned "generally strong," or a "particular strength level." My OP was asking how do I define "generally strong" for someone of my age, weight, and injury history?

Quote Originally Posted by David Sanders View Post
    Thank you all for the input. It is greatly appreciated and I particularly like the 3xweek for 90 days with no missed sessions! Now, let me get more specific. Severely responses mentioned "generally strong," or a "particular strength level." My OP was asking how do I define "generally strong" for someone of my age, weight, and injury history?
    There is no specific strength you should be. There are strength comparison sites which give an idea of the average strength of novice/intermediate/exper lifters in your age group- they don't give specific injuries, but they will likely be included in the averages. I don't know why you would bother, basically "whatever will be will be", just get strong.

starting strength coach development program
    Thank you all. While.I was originally looking for comparisons.I am genuinely intrigued by the 3 x a week for 90 days without missing a session goal. I am going to challenge myself to achieve that goal and then use my lifts to compare to others. Thanks again.