starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Seminars in Australia

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm in Brisbane..
    if you have places you want someone to talk to in person I can do that.

Quote Originally Posted by TomV View Post
    Ah my apologies, it was Bleve that trained in Melb.
    My gym ( http://www.powerhaus.com.au/ ) is too small to host it as I only have one platform and one rack. They need 6 platforms and 6 sets of racks, loads of bars and bumpers etc, which I don't have in my gym. The only place I know that has 6 platforms is the Mermet in Hawthorn, which I can hire (the warmup room anyway) but Rip etc aren't happy with that arrangement (which I understand) so I can't help them much and the Vic weightlifting people that run the Mermet won't pursue it themselves.

Other possibilities are 'Spartans' in Ringwood/Boronia and *maybe* the VIS, but I haven't been in their gym, it would be expensive and unlikely that they'd want to host anyway, even if they have the required equipment and space I suspect that they'd be very reluctant to be part of it.

I don't think Apollo's in Footscray have the facilities either. I haven't seen their studio but their main gym doesn't have platforms, that I saw when I briefly checked them out a few months ago.

Anyone know of anywhere else that might be big enough? There's a couple of couchfit boxes springing up here and there, but AFAIK they're too small anyway. 6 platforms is a lot of platforms.

The only other place I know of is my dad's shed in Frankston, it's an 11 car garage(!) and it's a fucking huge empty concrete floored cave. If we could hire a few barbells etc, or buy 'em and then distribute them afterwards that might be do-able.

I've got a few places in each city that i've already talked to and a couple that are looking promising.

I've got to call two guys back tomorrow and will let you all know how i go.

Biggest problem at the moment is finding places that have got enough of the right gear!

Actually, we need 5 racks (for 5 platforms.) I have a list of requirements that I can send anyone who is interested in hosting. Just throw me an email at juli@startingstrength.com.

Thanks again for your help guys!
    jp

Just a thought, if nothing else is lined up for Melbourne:

Why not try Melbourne Uni or Monash Uni? They both have racks and platforms, though I don't know how many.

Doesn't look like AUS/NZ is going to happen this year. Too many facilities problems and too much uncertainty about our ability to staff that long a trip. But we're keeping it in the long-term plans.

Thanks for everybody's interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    Doesn't look like AUS/NZ is going to happen this year. Too many facilities problems and too much uncertainty about our ability to staff that long a trip. But we're keeping it in the long-term plans.

Thanks for everybody's interest.
    Bummer mate, would've been great to have you out here and meet/learn from you in person.

nuts...

thanks for trying though, guys :-)

This does give me time to find/arrange the gear to set up 5 platforms in Melbourne, I have one ... I can slowly build up a few more over a year!

starting strength coach development program
    I really dont mind this.

it gives me a year or two to build up the funds!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12