starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Lvl2 seminar for me?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Genesis Gym might work.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Campitelli View Post
    Finding a gym large enough to hold the Level 2 in London is the tricky thing.
    If we find you a gym, do promise to come..?! How big does it need to be?

Thanks for all the info, everyone! I'll get my ticket as soon as the tax refund hits!

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

FWIW, I think a lot of the videos and practical articles are valuable resources as well, and I would consider watching them before a seminar. I usually just watched them as they came in due to interest...and I picked up a lot of good nuggets that came in handy for the seminar, the SS cert, and training people afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie Butland View Post
    FWIW, I think a lot of the videos and practical articles are valuable resources as well, and I would consider watching them before a seminar. I usually just watched them as they came in due to interest...and I picked up a lot of good nuggets that came in handy for the seminar, the SS cert, and training people afterwards.
    I agree. This is mentioned near the bottom of the How to Become a Starting Strength Coach sticky, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Genesis Gym might work.
    I trained there when I visited late last year. Unfortunately, it would not.

Quote Originally Posted by DeriHughes View Post
    If we find you a gym, do promise to come..?! How big does it need to be?
    Promise is a strong word, but if we could find a facility, there is great demand in London. It would be something I would look strongly at putting together. We need to create a page detailing the minimum gym requirements, but something in the vicinity of 3,000 square feet (280 sq m) with five good squat platforms, five good bench press stations, women's Olympic bars, enough weight to supply the platforms, a white board, two bathrooms, and a willingness to shut down for two and a half days to hold the seminar would be a good start. You now see why this is not such a trivial thing. Finding gyms like that in large, dense urban areas is tough.

Professional rugby clubs have those kinds of facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Knowland View Post
    Professional rugby clubs have those kinds of facilities.
    Something tells me pro rugby clubs don't rent their facilities for things like this. Also, do they have their facilities in London, or someplace with more access to open fields?

starting strength coach development program
    Tom, have done some digging for you. I have it on good authority that the first two are probably suitable:

Lee Valley athletics training centre (North London) - http://www.visitleevalley.org.uk/en/...letics-centre/ Was the UK athletics training base up to London 2012 Olympics

Crystal Palace weight lifting gym / power lifting club. Old school but loads of platforms. Run by an ex-GB weightlifting coach (Keith Morgan) who helped run the WL comp at London 2012. Can give you contact details if you want.

Other options that may or may not work:

Wasps RFC - pro rugby club with enough kit. Might be open to a seminar during the off season, particularly if the S&C guys / players can attend.

Bisham Abbey (where the England rugby team train during the international season - c.40 guys in camp for weeks at a time, they are likely to have lots of kit)

CrossFit South London (http://cfsouthlondon.com/crossfit/)

St Mary's University (http://www.smuc.ac.uk/sport/gym-membership.htm). New facility, has 10 Olympic platforms.

Surrey Sports Park (http://www.surreysportspark.co.uk/sp...ioning%20Room/). Harlequins (pro-rugby side) train here, but not sure how much kit they've got

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast