starting strength gym
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SS Seminar - Champaign, IL 11/7-11/9

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl Schudt View Post
    Have you considered theft? Organ donation?
    Considered all the above and then some. It's just not in the cards for me. All kiiiiiiiiiiindzzz of sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Reynolds View Post
    Guys (and gals),

Its an absolutely unbelievable seminar. If there is any chance you can make it, or if you are considering it at all, you should absolutely sign-up.
    I second this. I just attended the one in Maryland and it helped tremendously. Even if you think you know what's being taught, you get to see it from a whole new perspective. It's tremendously helped my lifting and coaching.

Plus you get to hang out with Rippetoe, which is pretty cool in and of itself - not to mention Karl and I. :-)
    And yes, it was cool getting to meet and talk to Rip and the coaches.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianKing850 View Post
    I am trying to workout the scheduling so that I can fly up for this one. Would you guys recommend renting a car or just taking a taxi two and from?
    I'm assuming you mean primarily to and from a hotel. Personally, I rented a car. The drive wasn't far from the hotel, but I also would've had to get a taxi to and from the airport. Depends on how far of a drive you've got and how much you want the convenience.

BrianKing850 -

I don't think Champaign would be the place to rely on taxis. It isn't a big city, so you would be better off either renting a car or finding a hotel with a shuttle. Where would you fly into? The closest airport of any substance is probably either St. Louis or Indianapolis, in which case you would likely need to rent a car anyway.

Another option is to just walk from a hotel. There are several hotels within 2 miles of the location.

I don't want my last post to imply any negativity, so I should also add that Champaign's location, despite not being a big city, actually makes it ideal for many. It is centrally located so anyone in the Chicago, St. Louis, or Indianapolis area could easily make it for the weekend. Also, this obviously means that anyone can fly into one of these cities and have a manageable drive to get to the event. It is also relatively cheap compared to other cities ($70 for a hotel) so take advantage of the opportunity!

Fly to Champaigne. The taxi or rental car would be used to get from Airport to Hotel, Hotel to Seminar, Seminar to Hotel and so forth.

Rent a car. Much easier, more reliable, and likely cheaper throughout the whole weekend as well.

I agree on the convenience of this location. I'm working on several people from the Twin Cities as well. Hopefully at least one takes me up on it.

Step 1: book the seminar. You won't regret it, I promise.

Step 2: book the flight.

Step 3: get hotel, close to the venue.

Step 4: come here and arrange carpooling.

Hope to see you there, Brian.

This seminar comes to about $1000+ when you factor in travel and accommodation costs, which is pretty steep. While I doubt one will be offered, I think a lot of people would opt for the cheaper and shorter session that simply focuses on learning the exercises and program rather than the technical lectures. Just my .02.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianKing850 View Post
    Fly to Champaigne. The taxi or rental car would be used to get from Airport to Hotel, Hotel to Seminar, Seminar to Hotel and so forth.
    The closest airports are in Chicago, either Midway or O'Hare. Champaign is 150 miles South on I-57. Getting a good ticket price by flying into STL or Indianapolis is unlikely by comparison because they are not among the major hubs in flying. So I'd suggest renting a car.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockSquat View Post
    This seminar comes to about $1000+ when you factor in travel and accommodation costs, which is pretty steep. While I doubt one will be offered, I think a lot of people would opt for the cheaper and shorter session that simply focuses on learning the exercises and program rather than the technical lectures. Just my .02.
    As it so happens, that was tried before. We offered a shorter, less expensive product called a Level 1 Seminar. It featured significantly shortened lectures and participants were not required to coach other lifters. We no longer offer it for a variety of reasons, although one frequent piece of feedback we received from it was, "It would be cool if the lectures were more involved and if the seminar were longer." You cannot please everyone. I have frequently suggested to Rip that we raise the price of our current seminars. Compared to what others offer, we are charging too little.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast