starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mirrors

Default Mirrors

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach Rip,

I read in your book that you frown upon lifting in front of mirrors because it's better to "feel the lift". However, until I join a new gym, mirrors are all but inevitable.

Which lifts are okay to do in front of mirrors, and which lifts do you recommend not doing in front of mirrors, and why?

Try to find a better gym.

Failing that, you should be looking at the ground anyway when you squat and pull. You can't see the mirror when you bench press, unless your gym is catering to a level of narcissism beyond my experience. Looking straight ahead into the mirror during a press isn't ideal, but can be managed.

Basically, do the lifts and try to ignore the mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

Failing that, you should be looking at the ground anyway when you squat and pull. You can't see the mirror when you bench press, unless your gym is catering to a level of narcissism beyond my experience. Looking straight ahead into the mirror during a press isn't ideal, but can be managed.

then you havent worked out in the shithole that i do. Mirrors on the fucking ceiling. But the fools the patronsleave the solitary squat rack alone, instead preferring to indulge in hip-hop talk and gesticulature. Makes my corner of the gym nice and solitary- the way i like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post

If a squat rack is anywhere near a wall, and you are forced to face the wall, then looking down can't save you from a mirror. Sadly, I find this is often the case.

You're already pressing/squatting in some form of rack, I'd assume.
    I'd also try and guess you're not an ape and keep a towel on you the prevent sharing excess sweat with other gym occupants. Hang the towel off the top bar of the rack so you can't see yourself, no matter how much you try mid-set.

I close my eyes when squatting. I don't know if this is recommended, but I find it gives me a greater awareness of the bar's, and my body's, position.

Mirrors are an awful distraction, no doubt. I haven't yet made up my mind about the cardio bunnies, though.

I tried ignoring mirrors for quite some time, but I found it pretty distracting to have my own reflection moving around in the periphery of my vision. So, I just started carrying a shower curtain in my gym bag, and I hang it from the back of the cage when I squat (I get some odd looks sometimes). This may not be possible depending on the design of your cage; you could always just tape a sheet or blanket to the mirror.

If the squat rack is right up against the mirror and for some reason you can't move the pins so you are facing out, just stare in the mirror at a spot on the floor a few feet behind you (you'll be looking through your legs). Think like you're making a bank shot in pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Subsistence View Post
    If a squat rack is anywhere near a wall, and you are forced to face the wall, then looking down can't save you from a mirror. Sadly, I find this is often the case.
    Why can't you look at the floor in front of your feet? That's exactly how I figured this out in 1980.

starting strength coach development program
    There are mirrors in front of every squat rack at the gym I train in. I look down, let my eyes defocus, and concentrate on what I'm there to do; squat. Having a strong will can include not seeing the unnecessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast