starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying to figure out the right shoes

Default Trying to figure out the right shoes

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    It was recommended that I try some oly shoes for squatting (I do low bar) and was doing some research on which to get. However there seem to be some competing opinions about whether low bar is better done in oly shoes or flats so I wanted to get some opinions.

Right now I use some New Balance Minimus zero drop shoes which have a super flat, thin sole. But I would like to hear other suggestions about good shoes. Don't like Chucks as they tend to squish my feet.

What makes me wonder whether olympic shoes would be appropriate for me is the fact that one of my biggest form issues is my knees coming too far forward and I've read that the oly shoes actually cause more forward knee movement.

For reference, from the technique forum:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ3e...ALfiMt4QOsIZzA

If I were to go with specialized lifting shoes, should I do the 3/4in shoes like the Nike Romaleo or a 1/2in like the Adidas Powerlift?

Quote Originally Posted by DannyP View Post
    It was recommended that I try some oly shoes for squatting (I do low bar) and was doing some research on which to get. However there seem to be some competing opinions about whether low bar is better done in oly shoes or flats so I wanted to get some opinions.

Right now I use some New Balance Minimus zero drop shoes which have a super flat, thin sole. But I would like to hear other suggestions about good shoes. Don't like Chucks as they tend to squish my feet.

What makes me wonder whether olympic shoes would be appropriate for me is the fact that one of my biggest form issues is my knees coming too far forward and I've read that the oly shoes actually cause more forward knee movement.

If I were to go with specialized lifting shoes, should I do the 3/4in shoes like the Nike Romaleo or a 1/2in like the Adidas Powerlift?
    Powerlifts aren't really weightlifting shoes. Romaleos, Ristos, Power Perfect II, Adipower, Wei Rui Warriors, Sabo Powerlifts, VS Athletics, or Do-Wins of any variety that you can find are all solid choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Skillin View Post
    Powerlifts aren't really weightlifting shoes. Romaleos, Ristos, Power Perfect II, Adipower, Wei Rui Warriors, Sabo Powerlifts, VS Athletics, or Do-Wins of any variety that you can find are all solid choices.
    Figured there was some difference with the PL other than heel height, since they're half the price but wasn't sure. Anything to the philosophy that flats are good for low bar or that the heel could exacerbate my knee problems, or is that just conjecture and hyperbole?

Figured there was some difference with the PL other than heel height, since they're half the price but wasn't sure. Anything to the philosophy that flats are good for low bar or that the heel could exacerbate my knee problems, or is that just conjecture and hyperbole?
    Our mechanics aren't powerlifter wide wide wide squat mechanics. Get the shoes. Also, the book. Also, search function.

My youngest son and I both experienced patella soreness from using our Adipowers, we both use the Reebok Power Shoe now.
    We both squat with a medium width stance.
    Chris Duffin shoe review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKHdrALObk
    Chris Duffin Record Squat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiVAQmmN-RM
    Last edited by Meshuggah; 12-20-2014 at 09:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Meshuggah View Post
    My youngest son and I both experienced patella soreness from using our Adipowers, we both use the Reebok Power Shoe now.
    We both squat with a medium width stance.
    Chris Duffin shoe review: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzKHdrALObk
    Chris Duffin Record Squat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SiVAQmmN-RM
    While Shug's experiences are certainly not unique, I'd like to add that I've had the 2012 edition Adipowers for about a year, and I think they feel great. I also squat with my knees very far forward like you (1 - 3 inches beyond toes), and I found that my knee pain went away. Specifically, the instability in my previous pairs of shoes would lead me to shift weight on my toes and bouncing off of my calves + knee slide, and the greater stability of the shoes meant that I can keep my weight on my heels better.

Oly shoes provide a large amount of support and stability. There is no comparison to any kind of squishy rubber shoe. I rather like the Romaleos because they are a very solid shoe with a heel cup and two straps which provides a little additional support compared to a traditional wood heeled shoe.

The shoes will change the lift a little, but, if your knees travel too far forwards, you can always stick them backwards a little more. Buy the shoes Danny.

I'm sure a resident SSC will chime in if I'm wrong, but as far as I can figure, the only thing the heel actually changes is the ankle angle and allowing you to get into a different position with the knee further forwards than usual. It would also limit the knee travel backwards some, but considering you're never going to get to the limit of the ankle joint's extension, it doesn't matter. The mechanics and the knee and hip remain the same. It should be perfectly possible to execute a squat with exactly the same ROM and joint angles and position, with the exception of the ankles, with and without heels. What will change is the feel of the lift.
    Last edited by OCG; 12-21-2014 at 01:06 AM.

It's hard to find a 1/2" shoe on the market now that Rogue discontinued their half inch Do Wins. The benefits of weightlifting shoes are certainly worth it though. Most people can't tell a huge difference between 1/2" and 3/4" anyway.

Regarding your form check, try turning your toes out a little more and actively shoving your knees out as hard as you can, keeping them there as you drive out of a hole. Once you get the shoes, take it slow and work with a TUBOW until they feel under control.

A 3/4" wooden heel can be easily reduced to the height of your choice by a cobbler. I don't think the same can be said about the polymer heels.

starting strength coach development program
    This may sound like a dumb question (and it probably is), but would a wooden heel make a shoe less suitable for walking to/from the gym (about 4 blocks each way) so as not to have to bring shoes with?

Going to head to some stores today and see if perhaps they have the ugliest possible color of one of the Nike or Adidas (the good ones) on sale.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast