starting strength gym
Page 184 of 230 FirstFirst ... 84134174182183184185186194 ... LastLast
Results 1,831 to 1,840 of 2293

Thread: Viking Workouts

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    We have a stationary bike, treadmill and rower at work. So I'm sorted in that department. Which I guess sort of sucks - no way of getting out of conditioning...

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    Rest-paused curls?
    Yeah. I embrace being "that guy"!

"that guy" = gym creeper not curl bro just so we're clear lol though it is difficult with all the yoga pants and absurdly low cut/tight tanks they wear (males included on the tanks hahahaha). Absolutely nothing is left to the imagination.

What are rest-pause curls? I'm a little lost there but I'm not much of a curler.

As I understand it "that guy" is applicable in many contexts. E.g. "that guy" who always makes inappropriate remarks, ogles the gym hotties, curlzzzz etc. I have embraced the fact that I am often "that guy"

Rest pause is some BB-stuff that is pretty time-efficient. Basically you do as many as you can, rest 10 breaths, as many as you can, rest 10, as many as you can. Last time was 13, 5, 3 reps I think.

06-02-2015: 07.03-08.05
    BW: 87.3 (slight bump, but waist is decreasing nicely, estimated BF is around 16.5 now - down from 18 3 weeks ago)
    Deadlift: 180x5, 175x5
    FSquat: 105x5, 100x5

Left SI was pretty annoyed, so I played it safe. It feels better PWO, which is cool. I've taken a hit in the order of 5% to my strength in the last month or so. At this stage it's about getting this damn cut/recomp/lean out whatever over with, so I'll accept a bit of a performance decrease. I actually think most of it stems from irregular training, not caloric deficit.

I hope to still be sub 88 after the weekend. I have a business lunch today, some football to see (cannot be done without beers) and dinner to eat with the wife over the weekend. So macros will be looser and higher, which to some extent is by design. I'm unsure if my carbs are really low enough to warrant a "high day", but it works for social reasons in any event. I've averaged a weightloss of 1lb/week despite some irregularity and social obligations along the way, so I'm fairly confident I can keep it up going forward. If I can keep it up, I should hit my target bottom weight (83) sometime late Spring.
    Last edited by DV; 02-06-2015 at 03:48 AM.

hahaha well maybe I won't fight it ;-)

cool, cool, cool. I might do some rest-pause bro stuff at the end of workouts. See if it gets me looking good...or at least better lol

I know I should take into account macros, but I don't really when I'm at a social event. I mean I do to an extent, but I don't really care. If I know I'm going out I try to arrange it so my high macro meal is the one I'm eating out for so I think we approach things in a similar fashion.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_Rogers View Post
    I know I should take into account macros, but I don't really when I'm at a social event. I mean I do to an extent, but I don't really care. If I know I'm going out I try to arrange it so my high macro meal is the one I'm eating out for so I think we approach things in a similar fashion.
    Exactly what I do. And when I have business lunches where I can pick from a menu I go for protein+veggies as far as I can without it being TOO weird. I refuse, though, to ask them for things off-menu (e.g. chicken and veg or something). I know you can, but that's just a step too far towards bodybuilder OCD relationship with food for my taste.

Going to try to start my workout weeks on Sunday in order to take advantage of Saturdays cheat meal. Wasn't feeling too hot, a bit hungover, slept a bit weird etc. Cheat meals really aren't all they are cracked up to be. Things felt good @gym, though. No real aches or pains and felt strong.

08-02-2015: 12.04-13.07
    BW: 88.5 (hello carb up)
    Comp. BP: 102.5x4, 100x4, 97.5x4, 96.3x4
    TnG BP: 95x6x2, 92.5x6x2
    DB Curlzzz @22 kg. 11, 9 reps e.a.

I was spot on with comp bench, but undershot on TnG. The fatigue made bar path erratic on some reps, so it was sort of difficult to gauge where I was at. In the end I got in 8 sets of benching, so all in all a good day.

Gym tales: As I went later in the day, the gym was sort of crowded. Loads of people squatting - every single one to depth. That was weird. Not heavy, mind, but still it was sort of cool. Also a dude did 2 reps decline bench with 150kg (and then 1 super-assisted). Finally I witnessed loads of girls in skintight clothes, so Trav and Craig were right - it's a trend. That's also kind of weird.

Good work going on in here Dv. How are you liking the rpe system? Are you programming yourself using it or getting your programming from somewhere?

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Good work going on in here Dv. How are you liking the rpe system? Are you programming yourself using it or getting your programming from somewhere?
    It's too early to tell, really, as results might be great or crap. As for how it "feels" I think it's just another manner of structuring your training. If I compare this with other versions of a 4 day upper/lower split I've done, I'd be hard pressed to tell you the fundamental differences. But I like how it sort of automatically takes fluctuations in recovery (and thus, performance) into account.

I had Jordan lay out a template for me, so I'm plugging along with that. It's really simple, but enjoyable so far, which is a big part of it for me.

If you can train on Sunday that seems like it will help a lot. One less day during week to figure out early schedule.

Bench looks like it is moving along nicely even if it was with a bit of a hangover. At least it means you got carbs! I was drinking beer more often but have cut it back out. Now just some whiskey on Sunday night.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by strong_over_matter View Post
    If you can train on Sunday that seems like it will help a lot. One less day during week to figure out early schedule.

Bench looks like it is moving along nicely even if it was with a bit of a hangover. At least it means you got carbs! I was drinking beer more often but have cut it back out. Now just some whiskey on Sunday night.
    Actually I will still have AM workouts every morning during the week. But it allows me to go 6xweek and actually get it done. From experience I know that if I have a GPP workout planned on the weekend I always end up "being too busy". If it's bench, then it's easier to get myself to the gym. And then the added advantage of using the carb up to grow the chesticles, as you rightly mentioned. I enjoy alcohol, too. But I am trying to keep it to 1xweek and in moderation. Work in progress. Last week I had wine at a business lunch on Friday and then on Saturday evening I probably drank a bottle by myself, which is not quite as moderate as I'd like. But it's a pretty decent starting point.

I slept fairly early last night, considering it was a Sunday. I was really tired. Then I woke at 5AM and never really got back to sleep. Gah. Had 600mg caffeine and got a bit of a buzz, will cut back to 500.

09-02-2015: 07.00-08.06
    BW: 87.1 (Carb up went away pretty fast it seems)
    LBBS: 147.5x4, 140x4
    Pause-DL: 165x6, 157.5x6

I was not feeling nearly as ready as yesterday. A bit achey, slow and even slightly hungry, which is very rare at this time in the morning. So I was mentally prepared for doing a triple if I felt off, but all four reps on squats felt pretty good. Bar speed and path are not perfect, mind, it was probably a small "9". But pretty happy with it. Pause-DL I just need to take my time and keep the bar close. It's good practice in that sense. Lower back only complained a slight bit.

Pretty happy with this mornings efforts tbh.

Squat:

Deads: